Please help my polish chick

blitz1027

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Natchitoches
Hey all I've got 3 buff laced polish and 4 buff brahma chicks that are 6 weeks old now and all of the birds have been pecking on one of my polish chicks and have pulled alot of the feathers of of her back and her back is now just raw. We have separated the birds now but you can tell that she is hurting and flys keep landing on the sore places on the injured ones back. Is there anything I can do to keep the flys away or something I can put on her back to make her feel better? Please help me I'm not sure what to do.

Blu-Kote is a popular wound care product that helps the skin look less red to deter picking from others, but keeping her separated is best right now. Neosporin or nearly anything you'd put on a cut of yours, you could use to coat the skin and keep flies off of her.

Poor thing. Hope she heals up quickly.

Hi! I would make her a little apron out of something light weight, like a thin cotton fabric, old dish towel or old t shirt. That should keep her little back safe, but I would check under it each morning or evening to make sure that there are no bugs making themselves at home under there. I found that having 2 is a good idea so that the little chicken doesn't have to wear a wet apron. Also, if making your own, it has to fit around the wings a lot more snugly than you might think. Good luck!

The hen apron is a good idea. I heard someone say they made theirs out of a piece of polar fleece and just cut slits for the wings. I can simpathize with you. Last week on the very day I was moving my 5 week old chicks out to the coop, they started pecking on my 3 week old polish chick's head because it was very pink where his head feathers were growing in. It was bloody in 30 minutes, and since I didn't have blukote, I improvised with neosporin and blue food coloring. It worked till I got the blukote, but his head feathers still haven't grown in 10 days later. The other polish same age has a beautiful white headress, while "Billy Ray" has a mullett with a bald patch.

Well I put some neosporin on her back last night and she seems to be feeling some better, but one of my other polish chicks now has a bloody place on her head where the other birds have been pecking one her. I just don't know what to do. I'm running out of places to keep them separate.

Back
Top Bottom