PLEASE help my poor call ducks

lilchicklets2

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Hi there,

Last week I bought a pair of call ducks from some random guy. I know it was a bad idea but the pair really looked like they could use some loving. I was told my female was missing tons of feathers because she was in a coop with all drakes (awful) and my poor drake had to be held down while I cleaned off his very very dirty bill. He also looks like he's been picked on too. They are sooooooo skiddish and scared. Especially my drake. They do not like the water i put in there for them (under-bed storage container with bricks) and they DO NOT like people. The other day, when it was down poring, they took off on me. I called them all night and all the next morning. Nothing. When I came back home in the afternoon they were in the mud room like nothing had ever happen. The guy told me she has not started laying yet so they are pretty young. Though when I brought out my 1 week old chicks she was very interested. I really, really really would appreciate some advice!!!! Call ducks are suppose to be friendly and funny. These are not. Do you think when my pekins come in they will be better or worse? Should I find a vet in out area?

Thank you everybody!!!

They are just being ducks. Give them some time. We bought a hen that was all dirty and I don't think she had ever been in water to swim because she was deathly afraid of it when I would put her in it. I just finally put her in a tote with wire on the top and left her in there for 1/2 hour or so and she finally started to clean up and splash around. What do you need to contact a vet for?

I'm so use to chickens!!! I dont know what to do with ducks that have scabs and bald spots so I was gona ask a vet.

I would not call my ducks friendly...funny yes...especially after they get their water all dirty 15 seconds after you give them new water and look at you like fix it! I am not the one that pooped in it...stop pooping in it and it won't get dirty!

lol:thumbsup Ok so I'm just paranoid. These are my first pair (obviously). And yes they do look at me funny when ever I bring in treats. "Come on lady!!!! Drop the freakin worm already" So nobody thinks they are unhealthy? Is there anything I should do about the missing feathers? I'm a little on the nervous side to put them with other birds if Im not sure if they're healthy.

lol Ok so I'm just paranoid. These are my first pair (obviously). And yes they do look at me funny when ever I bring in treats. "Come on lady!!!! Drop the freakin worm already" So nobody thinks they are unhealthy? Is there anything I should do about the missing feathers? I'm a little on the nervous side to put them with other birds if Im not sure if they're healthy.

I didn't get calls or runners due to temperment is skittish so I have heard....but I have a cayuga that somehow got an infection on her foot, after weeks of antibiotics it seems the infection was caused by a broken toe, but has travelled up her leg and is at her knee! She now will stand on it, and the few times I have placed her in the field to eat and mingle (while sitting there) she has been gang raped by the boys the minute I turn my back!

She now has bald spots on her back and her neck, no more unsupervised minutes out there. I feel bad for her, she calls and calls for a companion...and she isn't waterproof anymore because I allow her to swim once a week to clean herself and then I have to blow dry her (funny she seems to like that).

She isn't getting better, and I may have to cull her but I don't want to!

none of the adults are 'people ducks' but their babies are turning out to be quiet human. at least the first 3.

Sounds like yours are skittish because they never imprinted on a human, and ducks are prey so they will always be skittish. The swimming? Mine ALWAYS are suspicious when I put them in a body of water, so I fill it and then coo at them to try it....they eventually do. The only time I am successful is when 4 of us get a duck, and surround the kiddie pool, put them in and dash away...they stay and the rest join. One never works.

She will grow back her feathers I am sure, since they molt. They sound ok to me, just that they were not in good living conditions before, and I am glad you snapped them up. Sounds like you will take good care of them.

Quote:
I dont think there is anything wrong with your ducks. The feathers will grow back in 6-8 weeks and they'll get used to you. My call ducks are not friendly either. Funny, but anything but friendly. I've had mine four years and they are still skiddish. You can watch them for about 2 weeks in a seperate cage if your worried they are sick, and if they show any other abnormal signs.

Bibkel: I am very sorry to hear about your duck. I hatched 10 chicks 2 weeks ago and had to decide to cull one or not. I decided not to but I honestly regret it. Poor little bird did not make it. It is a very hard decision to make. I'm sure whatever you decide will be best for her.

I really feel dumb. I thought that call ducks were friendly. it really doesn't matter b/c I would have bought them anyways. They did not look like they were in the best living conditions and I'm a sucker for any animal that needs me. When I walk out to the chickens they think I'm feeding them so they get all excited. kind of thought ducks would do the same. I do have them in a mud room right now and as soon as their 2 weeks is up I'll put them in the coop.

Thank you all for the advice!!! I stop taking my ducks' attitudes personally.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom