PLEASE HELP! My Roo In Trouble

milezone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
SW Kentucky
Hi All,

I have 1 roo and 10 hens, all buff's. I just came home and my roo is not keeping balance, looks very weak and ready to die? I tried to give water, and even washed him a gently with water to cool him (we are in SW Kentucky). Not sure what could have happened.

I do know I sprayed yeterday a wasp nest close to thier coop, could he have eaten one of the dead wasp and gotten sick? Please help he is my main buddy.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Darned wasps... I just sprayed a nest down last evening as well.

Could you list any more symptoms you notice? Could a wasp have actually stung him? If it came on very suddenly, it could be the heat indeed, or some other toxin he's gotten a hold of. Or a lot of other things... tough to say. If he's dehydrated, try a dropper with cool water? There's a chance he may work it out of his system in time. If it's a poison, I had eventual success with my roo by separating him (but not so far that he couldn't hear his girls), keeping him cool, calm and quiet, and getting him to take water with a dropper. Then eventually things which nourish and cleanse-- vitamin water mixed with yogurt, molasses, or anything else he'd tolerate. Two weeks and he was back to normal.

Keep us posted on any other symptoms and progress?

-Carrie

Quote:
I think it may be the lack of symptoms. I'm just taking a wild guess based on past experience. Personally, I wouldn't freak out about the eggs, but that's totally your call. Sorry I can't be of more help... kinda need more info.

Edit/P.S. It was about 105 here for a few days last week, and my BOs seemed alright. I'd mist them all (and the dirt) pretty well with a hose and they'd stop panting right away. Critters with heatstroke seem to recover fairly quickly once cooled, unless circumstances are extreme, or they're compromised in some other fashion (age, other health problem).

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. Really a all of sudden thing, jsut today.

This morning he was jsut fine. I came home around 5 and found him laying sideways in the coop, kicking his feet when I opened the coop and could not stand. So I took him out and into a cooler place in the yard, gave him water (really would not take it much but did drink some) and he just cannot stand without falling over. His head kinda goes backwards and wobbly, not able to keep it up straight. He acts like he is in another world, and very week. he does keep his head up somewhat, but just seems spaced out and weak.

Russ

Quote:
From what you describe, it sounds exactly what happened with my roo. After a lot of research and process of elimination (as well as response to treatment) I narrowed it to botulism. He also had a brief bout of cocci right before, so his system was weak. Did he eat any raw vegetables which could have been compromised? Maize crops (corn) can get to them. Might be the poison you mentioned. I was sure mine was going to die-- for a couple of days he did what you describe, sort of a loss of control of his limbs and body. Flipping out, head wobbling. But eventually he came around. I'd try to get some water in him one way or other.

Sounds like botulism. There's something here about a molasses flush. Please do a search on that.

Back
Top Bottom