Please help...my Rouen can't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaftaboutDucks, Jun 30, 2011.

1. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    I have been giving my all my ducklings brewer's yeast for the past 5 days after reading on here that they need the extra niacin. Today while walking to the pond one of the rouens started to limp ..then couldn't walk at all. He's kind of walks on the legs flat ..if that makes any sense. I have a pic too. His tail looks off centered like he twisted himself. If anyone has any suggestion of what to do,I would really appreciate it. Don't know if his leg/s are broken or if he's pulled something or what???[​IMG]

Sorry really bad pic

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Perhaps he pulled a muscle or twisted his leg. If you gently feel down his legs, you should be able to tell if he has broken something. Sometimes if they step the wrong way there knee joint (or what ever you want to call it [​IMG]) will swell. The best thing is to put him in a nice pen with some clean dry shavings and a flat even surface.

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I agree with putting him a small space with something under his feet that isn't slippery. I've had this happen to rouens before. It's almost as if they had to walk around too much - not enough swimming? After a few days of rest, they've gotten over it. They are, after all, "meat" birds. I think maybe they get too heavy? [​IMG]

4. DaftaboutDucks

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Thank You all so much. [​IMG] I can't find a break of tell if any swelling. I thought It might be a pull cause I saw what happened.
    I will keep you all posted to what happens.

5. DaftaboutDucks

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Update: He's spreading his feet out today,still not walking, put him in a nice clean brooder(after he had a swim cause we were out there already), with food & water close by.
    He seemed to do much better in the pond. I think that would be like therapy to him. Should I take him out there daily in a carrier or not? What do you guys think? Also he's not able to reach his preen duct so should I keep that stimulated as well so that it doesn't get blocked.?

6. DaftaboutDucks

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    The next update would not be good .....we have another rouen displaying the same symptoms. [​IMG] Should I keep up with the brewers yeast or stop using it.
    The same thing happened...walking them out to the pond & DH said that the second rouen was flopping....holding his wings out & limping. What the heck is going on. I don't know what to do now???? Any input anyone???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by