Please help my sick chicken

tyedyefire

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Sacramento CA
Hello, I am a new chicken owner, since February to be exact, and there's already a sick chicken. Pippin is a white Brahma approximately 8 months old. She is an everyday layer and usually very energetic and friendly. I went outside this morning to check on them (we have 5 chickens all together-the others seem fine) and Pippin was standing under the waterer not paying to much attention to myself or the others running around.
Symptoms:
Lethargic
Large, mushy crop
Diarrhea
Not eating
Not laying
Pale comb
Emaciated
Her eyes are clear and she was drinking water but at the moment that's about the only positive.
I started this post at 10:00 this morning and it is now 7:45 pm and there is no change. All the girls are in the coop for the night but Pippin isn't perched, she's usually right in the middle, instead she's lying on the floor of the coop with the babies. I tried to do some research during the day and read about impacted and sour crops and coccidiosis, which include all of her symptoms but like I said I'm a new chicken owner and I'm completely at a loss of what to do. She's such a sweet girl and I'd hate to loose her, please help.

I'm so sorry. Actually, crop problems seem to be the beginning of the end, many times.

You might want to check out having a necropsy done, for future reference. State vet labs or ag colleges will often do them for a small fee or even free. (If you happen to be in California, it's free.) It is really the only way to know what was wrong. There's a sticky in the Emergencies forum with a link to a site to help you find your state vet.

Back
Top Bottom