PLEASE HELP! My White leghorn is acting very strange after an incident!

Jakrzz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 3, 2012
I'm fairly new to the chicken raising world, and so I need your help!
As I was walking into my coop this morning for the chickens daily food, they all tried to jump outside. As a reflex I tried to shut the door. But it wouldn't shut all the way! I look over and my white leghorns head is in the door!!!! :eek: I open the door to set here free she squaked for a sec but then she just kind if wondered off into the coop (keep in mind, the coop is inside the run and I didn't shut the door very hard) anyway I come back about an hour later and she looks tired and almost stunned. I moved towards her and she flinches at first but let's me hold her. She used to be so lively and energetic, and after the incident she just kinda slowly moves around. I know this makes me sound like an unfit chicken owner and I feel so bad!

Is she just stunned or should I be really worried!!?? Please help! I don't want her to die!

she may have a head injury

hugs.gif
Don't feel like this is your fault though. If she'd gotten out a predator could have hurt her, so you were just trying to protect. You were trying to do the right thing!!

If you can, I would remove her from the rest of the birds (they will attack her if they sense a problem) put her in a dog crate in the house, keep her calm and leave her alone. You can feed her scrambled eggs for some extra nurishment. She'll get better or she won't. Not much you can do for her but wait and protect her

I'm fairly new to the chicken raising world, and so I need your help!
As I was walking into my coop this morning for the chickens daily food, they all tried to jump outside. As a reflex I tried to shut the door. But it wouldn't shut all the way! I look over and my white leghorns head is in the door!!!! :eek: I open the door to set here free she squaked for a sec but then she just kind if wondered off into the coop (keep in mind, the coop is inside the run and I didn't shut the door very hard) anyway I come back about an hour later and she looks tired and almost stunned. I moved towards her and she flinches at first but let's me hold her. She used to be so lively and energetic, and after the incident she just kinda slowly moves around. I know this makes me sound like an unfit chicken owner and I feel so bad!
Is she just stunned or should I be really worried!!?? Please help! I don't want her to die!

Accidents do happen in life so please don't be too hard on yourself, it's obvious that you care for her. Is she walking and holding her head in a normal stance I would assume she is in some kind of shock, give her sometime to recover and watch her to see how she's doing tomorrow. Maybe bring her some special treats. Wishing you the best!

Lets hope she is just in shock but she might be injured. Time will tell. I agree with the others posters - Dont be to hard on yourself. Best of luck
hugs.gif

Thank you! I do care very much for my chickens and as the day went on, she regained balance and started to act like herself! I expect a full recovery by tomorrow! :D

Just an update-
She has fully recovered! She just like herself: eating and drinking correctly and I even got an egg from her today! Glad she was just stunned, I don't know what I'd do without her presence in my flock! :) thank you for the help!

Just an update-
She has fully recovered! She just like herself: eating and drinking correctly and I even got an egg from her today! Glad she was just stunned, I don't know what I'd do without her presence in my flock!
smile.png
thank you for the help!
So glad to hear she is better :) My girls send good healing thoughts her way
yippiechickie.gif

If you makes you feel any better, the same thing nearly happened to me this morning. I was checkingntheirnfeed quickly before work. Went to closemthemdoor and one of the chickens tried to make a run for it. You would have thought she was 50 poundsmthemway she came busting thru! I tried to block her with my leg as I shut the door, and she got her head poked between them. Luckily I realized in time, and she didn't seem hurt. It scared me for a bit though, how easily I could have hurt her! The little buggers can be persistent!

Back
Top Bottom