PLEASE help my wildlife rehab group! (And wildlife photos, too. <3)

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
Well, my wildlife rehabilitation group is currently up for a $25,000 grant on Pepsi Refresh. The charities that get the grants are determined by votes, so we could really use your votes! You can vote once a day. It only takes a few minutes to sign up and vote! Any votes you can send our way are much appreciated--we're currently all the way down at #118 and we need to be in the top ten by the end of the month in order to get a grant!

http://www.refresheverything.com/wildliferehab

My wildlife rehab group is an absolutely wonderful group. We are all very devoted to helping wild animals and we release hundreds of animals every year, most of which would've died without our help. Most of the wild animals we get in end up with us as a result of humans--caught by cats, struck by cars, shot, and so on. We turn away no animals, even helping some domesticated critters (we've gotten several chickens over the years, including one little bantam chick I have with my broody hen right now!), and we are entirely funded by public donations and grants. We take in songbirds, birds of prey, fawns, small mammals, and basically all kinds of wildlife in northern California. Here's our website if you'd like to read more about us or send a donation: http://www.cawildlife911.org/

Here
are some photos of critters we've rehabbed (some of these are animals I have personally rehabbed or helped with rehabbing! All are pictures I took):

Photo276Large.jpg

Baby California quail on my hand.
smile.png

CopyofEagle018Large.jpg

Golden eagle.

CopyofJays020Large.jpg

Baby stellar's jay.

Misc511Large.jpg

Misc510Large2.jpg

Baby stellar's and scrub jays.

CopyofMisc495Large.jpg

Cliff swallow. Her wing was broken when some boys threw rocks at her and destroyed her nest and broke her eggs. She was released after recovering, however.

Misc789Large2.jpg

Baby sparrows and a cowbird. (Cowbirds are parasitic nesters, meaning they lay eggs in the nests of other birds. There was an odd bird in this nest that didn't look like the others, it turned out to be a little cowbird!)

PoultryKittens004Large.jpg

One of my fellow rehabbers releasing a wild turkey she and I rehabbed together. Poor guy had lead poisoning from swallowing some lead shot and was very, very weak, but we managed to flush the lead shot out of his system and he made a recovery!

PoultryKittens005Large.jpg

Birdies038Large.jpg

Baby mourning dove on my hand.

Photo178Large.jpg

Little crow and yellow-billed magpie.

FinalSales013copy.png

A turkey vulture I rescued, and released on December 31st, 2009. This is the second after he jumped out of the kennel during his release.

And here are a few of our permanent resident education birds. They are birds that cannot be released to the wild because of permanent injuries, so they serve as our ambassadors and go to classes, local fairs and events, and educational seminars to help people learn about wildlife. We have more but I haven't gotten a chance to take pictures of them yet.

kxdjfklsf8Large.jpg

Oliver the western screech owl.

kxdjfklsf9Large.jpg

Tecumseh the red-tailed hawk.

kxdjfklsf21Large.jpg

Chester the great-horned owl. (Who I care for when his caretaker goes away on vacation!)

And here's my "rehab" bantam chick, who a lady found wandering all alone in her yard and the cat was stalking it:

Littles016.jpg

Of course, this baby won't be going back to the wild.
wink.png

Any help passing on the word and voting for us in this competition is very much appreciated! Thank you, BYC!

Last edited:
Thank you both so much, I really appreciate it!
hugs.gif
I'm really hoping we'll be able to get this grant so we can save more and more wild critters!

Back
Top Bottom