PLEASE HELP - Need advice on how long an emu egg Is meant to be hatching for??

Rebeccamay

Hatching
May 4, 2015
We have got 1 emu egg hatching at the moment, it starting hatching at around 5 so has been at it for around 6 hours and I can only just start to see his head. This is our first experience with emu hatching and I don't know wether this is normal or should I be intervening? The egg is also still in the incubator which is actually only an octogen 360 meant for chicken eggs but the emu eggs did just about fit in there. Therefore I am also concerned wether I need to move it to a bigger area and if so what the temperatures need to be like?
The temperature in the incubator at the moment is 36 degrees and the humidity is around 50% - the vent is also wide open. Is this okay?? I have searched the Internet but there has not been much hope.
I probably sound so useless but I am just worried as this is my first hatch!

If someone could reply with some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

We have got 1 emu egg hatching at the moment, it starting hatching at around 5 so has been at it for around 6 hours and I can only just start to see his head. This is our first experience with emu hatching and I don't know wether this is normal or should I be intervening? The egg is also still in the incubator which is actually only an octogen 360 meant for chicken eggs but the emu eggs did just about fit in there. Therefore I am also concerned wether I need to move it to a bigger area and if so what the temperatures need to be like?
The temperature in the incubator at the moment is 36 degrees and the humidity is around 50% - the vent is also wide open. Is this okay?? I have searched the Internet but there has not been much hope.
I probably sound so useless but I am just worried as this is my first hatch!

If someone could reply with some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.png
It should be fine, it has air and all it needs for now.
Let it do the work on it's own, it needs to so it can internalize the yolk sac fully.
Also, good idea to dab that belly button with iodine or 10% betadine once it's fully hatched for the first couple days.
36 degrees , I do hope you mean celsius ?
hmm.png

Don't know about your bator but if it has a heat unit in the top the chick can get burnt on then
you need to move it somewhere else at the same temp. & humidity you hatched it at.

Yeh, we have one fabulous datum on this: wild bird (but used to being observed 'cause its partner was tame-wild). We observed from close up, through binos, over four days. Dad doesn't intervene. Just stands every two hours or so, and peers down. The chicks are in the 'room' under the kneeling male, and over the 'hatch days,' they slip in and out of the 'curtain' of feathers that seals the room.

So, a chick that comes early may get as far as six feet from dad. The chicks still under dad are on 'auto pilot'

Then there's the sad moment at which the male -- you can see its concern clearly -- chooses to leave the remaining unhatched eggs. (No wiggling = no life?), and move to water with the clutch. This is the bird. I am sooooo proud of this photo. It's rare rare rare:

Seven wild birds here in the clearing at this second.

Supreme Emu, Unicup, W.A.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom