1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ams4776, May 11, 2011.

1. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay here is the deal on day 1 (Sunday) I had an unknown length temp spike of 105. I had to work :-( So I got the temp back its been great since. I tried candling a few today (day 4) and there is a floating dark blob pretty much. Def doesn't look like my eggs i havnt tried hatching. There is also a small air sac (this is my first time so not quite sure on size should be) Ive been using a 100 watt light bulb for candling. So do these eggs sound like an okay chance? I will be re-candling sunday for the final thoughts. Im putting aside another batch I can put in if these ones fail. At least if I try again then the temp spike shouldnt go on again. Temps have been great since. okay any input would be great, very nervous first timer here lol

2. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    You should definitely be able to make out veining and some sort of development by 7 days - even someone with very little candling experience so personally, I'd wait until then. It's very difficult to say given their gestation.

Fingers crossed for you. I too am on my first hatch and it's so nerve wracking - I hate it haha! I'm sure I'll change my mind if I get lots of fuzzy butts but for now, it's excruciating haha!

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    The blob is the embryo.

The air sac should be at the fat end of the egg. [​IMG] Eggs can live through alot more than
    you think they can. Candle them on day 7-10 and see if there is any veins, or more development.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by