PLEASE HELP NEED ADVISE FOR BLIND CHICK

poulet

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
I have had only one reponse on the other posts I have put and I really need some advise. Has anyone managed to rear a blind chick ? If so please give me some advise

Last edited:
I did rear one to about 5 weeks old. But then I put her down. She trembled all the time in fear, she was always stressed and none of the other babies were nice to her. The only time she was happy was at night because the others stood still so she could cuddle them. She couldn't free-range, was frightened by bugs. It was sad.

She was a very sweet chick, very loving and used to being handled. In fact, she tried to never be set down! But she only drank when I was there to help her. I work full time and summer was coming. DH felt it was kinder to cull her.

Before I realized she was blind, I was making a gruel for her to eat/drink. Fed it to her mornings and evenings. I added vitamin supplements (baby liquid vitamins) to the gruel, which was made of chicks starter, warm water and a dab of honey. It was pretty thick until she learned to scratch and find the feed. Then I went to only giving her water.

My chick may've had more issues than blindness. Sometimes I though there were neurological issues too. She couldn't hit the bowl 2 times in a row even if it stayed stationary. I'd eventually give up and move it under her beak again.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have no advise for you - I've never had any animal that was blind. When I read your post I tried to imagine what in the world I would do in your situation. I have no clue. I wonder if a blind chicken can make it on it's own? I'm sure they could learn to find the food and water, but I wonder if what happened to wegotchickens little chick is normal - and they just live in constant stress and fear? I also imagine the others may sense the weakness and pick on it? So sad. I hope you get some good answers.

Take care,
Penny

I can't say anything about a bind chicken per se BUT I have had several blind animals. Mostly cats and dogs. It is quite possible to raise this chick (providing it doesn't have any other issues). It's other senses will develop to cover for the blindness. It will need lots of extra help from you learning how to find food water ect. It may have to be an 'only chick' if the others pick on it or you could try putting it with only one other very gentle chick. You could consider having her as a house chicken....lol they even make diapers for them
wink.png
. If you run into any specific problems let us know and we can brainstorm and help you find a solution.

Search the threads on SouthernChick28's blind chick. She named it Blind Tiny and had to give it a house by itself.

My chick couldn't have lived by itself. It went nuts if away from the other chicks, unless a person was holding it. I toted it around in my pocket sometimes, early on, but that was not a long term solution. Chickens get too big for pockets
hmm.png

I got a hatch back from the hatchery and found one blind chick. It wouldn't eat, and only drank if you dipped it's beak in it's mouth. It wouldn't have lived, so I had my grandma cull it.

Quote:
ave a feeling peppino may have other issues too , he also cannot seem to peck in the same place and you have to put the food in front of his beak all the time so he can eat. He walks around pecking the air or the other chicks or the sides of the box whatever is in front of him. He doesn't scratch the ground but the other chicks are not mean to him which is good.

I would get a very quiet silkie pullet as a companion and give it a try. I have had blind animals before, but not chickens. In time, maybe it will learn it's way around if you keep it in a smaller area and always have the food and water in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom