Please help...need some input! Humidity???

TheNewMrsEvans

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Big Sur, CA
So I've been setting each Friday for about 1 month in my sportsman. I had my humidity raised to about 65% since Tuesday when I stopped turning the ready eggs and put them in the bottom to hatch. I think everyone is now done hatching. So I have to move the next batch to the hatch tray on Tuesday, do I bother taking out the sponges I used for high humidity to let it go down today until tomorow eve or do I just leave it at 65% forever? Basically what's worse, changing humidity or high humidity the whole time? The first hatch went great, no sticky chicks, clean hatches, but they were at 45% for the 1st 18 days...

Last edited:
Wow, no love huh?
sad.png

Based on my 71/2 minutes of hatching experiance and all that I have read on here, the humidity level needs to drop back down for the next batch to develop right. Too much moisture (from what I've read) will lessen the size of the air sac in the eggs and cause problems.

when you candle your eggs, how do the air cells look, are they enlarging like they are supposed to?
Staggered hatches are a pain when they are that far apart...
I am unsure of how I would handle that, maybe make a homemade incubator to use as a hatcher...
I have an couple of incubators, so I use one as a hatcher and the other for incubating.

I am on my 2nd hatch ever, still pretty new to this. My incubator is a converted cardboard box...lol....the humidity inside stays between 48-52% during the entire incubation period and I've not had any trouble yet.
smile.png

Well so far the second hatch that wound up having high humidity for a little over a week has done fine. Good idea on the air cell! I will check it for the next batch due...if it's really small I guess I'll have to set up my homemade hatcher...Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom