Please help - nesting hen question

Cr8zyducklady

Hatching
May 22, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum so please be patient with me if I don't use the right lingo.
We have feral Muscovies in our development, and 2 are sitting on nests in my yard. The first hen is due to hatch her eggs in a few days and the other just started sitting a few days ago. The first hen had a few rotten eggs she removed. Yesterday and today I caught her sitting on the other hen's nest. I directed her back to her own nest and all seems well. Do they get confused? Is it normal to steal another nest? Does it mean that there's a problem with her eggs? I smelled them and they seemed ok. All help is appreciated

Usually a muscovy hen returns to her own nest. Perhaps she's new at it. It is possible her eggs are no good. They usually don't start stinking until they have been setting around for a long time, usually past the 35 day incubation days.

Usually a muscovy hen returns to her own nest. Perhaps she's new at it. It is possible her eggs are no good. They usually don't start stinking until they have been setting around for a long time, usually past the 35 day incubation days.
Thank you - we're at day 32 so we will see

Back
Top Bottom