Please Help! New Duckling Owners...

I can clearly see the leg issue in The video she should not be swimming right now. She should be giving them vitamin b treatment and the therapy treatment.

Understand when baby ducks are with there mommy the mommy puts them under her wing. She does this to put her oil on the babies to protect them from drowning, it keeps them a float if you look or watch any adult ducks you will see the water rolling off of them that ther oils, we can not duplicate this so therefore Baby ducks that have been hatched have not developed there oils yet. So ther fur is like a sponge once they hit that water and it weighs them down.,, so I would strongly suggest no baths or swimming. At least until they are a week old but in her case until she can hold herself up..

Thank you for that thread. The more success stories I hear about Polyvisol, the more I want to use it! I think we will give her some tonight. She seems to get stronger every day and is becoming quite the swimmer! Mostly straight lines today in the water, but still sliding to get around.

We tried making a reverse hobble for her legs (to keep them from touching or going too wide) and she HATED it. It was stressing her out so much that she was frantically sliding around and flopping all over the place which was making her hit her head on everything. So we took it off immediately. We were just trying to help...
hu.gif

Here's the new supplement dosage (unless someone tells us otherwise!): 400mg of Vitamin E mixed into a paste with her food, once a day; water with plain niacin (100mg per gallon) and super B-complex (one tablet per gallon) always within reach; three drops of Polyvisol, twice a day. Does that sound alright?

Thanks again for everyone's help, advice, and encouragement! We just want our special little one to be happy and healthy, even if she's just a "special" duckling. We love them so much! Here's a picture of Ducky all sleepy after her bath time :)
love.gif

I can see Lacrystol's point, and at the same time, as gently as I can, would like to point out there is research showing that ducklings raised without a mother that are allowed short time in warm water early on begin preening behavior earlier and seem quite healthy.

I feel, as someone who started bath time at three days, that if there is constant supervision, proper water temperature, depth up to the top of the legs only, and that ducklings are removed from the water after about 5 minutes or as soon as one seems a little tired, and they are brought back to a clean, warm, dry brooder and dried off, that there are benefits including reducing the amount of dust on them, giving them exercise and fun, and the behavioral improvements I mentioned above.

I think Lacrystol is right in her concerns and absolutely right about the important role a mother duck plays. We are best not to forget those things.

I can see Lacrystol's point, and at the same time, as gently as I can, would like to point out there is research showing that ducklings raised without a mother that are allowed short time in warm water early on begin preening behavior earlier and seem quite healthy.

I feel, as someone who started bath time at three days, that if there is constant supervision, proper water temperature, depth up to the top of the legs only, and that ducklings are removed from the water after about 5 minutes or as soon as one seems a little tired, and they are brought back to a clean, warm, dry brooder and dried off, that there are benefits including reducing the amount of dust on them, giving them exercise and fun, and the behavioral improvements I mentioned above.

I think Lacrystol is right in her concerns and absolutely right about the important role a mother duck plays. We are best not to forget those things.

Although you make a good point but my concerns is this little guy can't even walk properly, to me that's taking a HUGE risk right there in allowing him to swim. I actually jumped a couple of times watching the video because all's I could think about was OMG, one slight look away and that poor little guy could have a serious accident on his hands. Or what if he gets overly excited and falls to the side and her fur gets sucked up like a sponge and she can't get his balance back to get her head out of the water. I think I would be working more on getting strength and coordination in those legs then trying to take them swimming.

But its great that she has a little buddy baby ducks do not like to be alone. LOL

I definitely understand the point you are making. We researched for hours and hours trying to figure out what was best for them and we saw all the debates about when it is safe or isn't safe to start letting them swim...some said they're good at 2 days, some said wait until their 1-2 weeks. We must have read the same articles as Amiga, because that was the deciding factor for us. Ultimately, we knew that it would be best for Ducky to get some time working out her legs while the water supported her weight. We appreciate everyone's concerns, and we completely understand where they are coming from.

We started swim time at 4 days old -- and they are one week old today -- with the water just barely to the top of their legs, warm (85-90 degrees). The first bath was stressful for me because I was paranoid that they would both sink and drown. Or that Ducky would try to stand, fall, and slide with her face in the water. I feel like I was more concerned than they were! They boht picked it up quickly and loved to swim right away...it's so fun to see them paddle around and try to dive and run. We think that swimming has been the biggest help for Ducky's legs and neck so far. It allows her to strengthen her legs (in the proper position) while the water holds her body weight. Any time she even hints that she is stressed or tired, we dry her off and put her back in her brooder.

They were both able to swim wonderfully and stay afloat, so every time we add a little more water. Now they are able to swim and stand if they want/need to. Please be assured that both my husband and I are ALWAYS sitting right next to the bath tub watching them like hawks, with one of our hands in the water at the ready to catch them if they need it. The only time one of us takes our eyes off them is when we're filming, and there's one of us still watching carefully. We would never put them in the water if we didn't think they should be in there. Scuba likes to dive down and swim like a crazy man, and always floats up and is completely dry. It's clear to us that his oils are already covering him, but that may not be visible in the videos. Same with Ducky. At the end of bathtime the only thing that is still wet is her underbelly and her right wing, and she's good at shaking off and drying herself off before we help her with the towel.

We are starting the Polyvisol today (3 drops, twice a day) and we are hopeful that it will be beneficial for her in some way. Should we be giving some to Scuba too? Or not worry since he's perfectly healthy?

I definitely understand the point you are making. We researched for hours and hours trying to figure out what was best for them and we saw all the debates about when it is safe or isn't safe to start letting them swim...some said they're good at 2 days, some said wait until their 1-2 weeks. We must have read the same articles as Amiga, because that was the deciding factor for us. Ultimately, we knew that it would be best for Ducky to get some time working out her legs while the water supported her weight. We appreciate everyone's concerns, and we completely understand where they are coming from.

We started swim time at 4 days old -- and they are one week old today -- with the water just barely to the top of their legs, warm (85-90 degrees). The first bath was stressful for me because I was paranoid that they would both sink and drown. Or that Ducky would try to stand, fall, and slide with her face in the water. I feel like I was more concerned than they were! They boht picked it up quickly and loved to swim right away...it's so fun to see them paddle around and try to dive and run. We think that swimming has been the biggest help for Ducky's legs and neck so far. It the water holds her body weight. Any time she even hints tallows her to strengthen her legs (in the proper position) while hat she is stressed or tired, we dry her off and put her back in her brooder.

They were both able to swim wonderfully and stay afloat, so every time we add a little more water. Now they are able to swim and stand if they want/need to. Please be assured that both my husband and I are ALWAYS sitting right next to the bath tub watching them like hawks, with one of our hands in the water at the ready to catch them if they need it. The only time one of us takes our eyes off them is when we're filming, and there's one of us still watching carefully. We would never put them in the water if we didn't think they should be in there. Scuba likes to dive down and swim like a crazy man, and always floats up and is completely dry. It's clear to us that his oils are already covering him, but that may not be visible in the videos. Same with Ducky. At the end of bathtime the only thing that is still wet is her underbelly and her right wing, and she's good at shaking off and drying herself off before we help her with the towel.

We are starting the Polyvisol today (3 drops, twice a day) and we are hopeful that it will be beneficial for her in some way. Should we be giving some to Scuba too? Or not worry since he's perfectly healthy?

Right now she needs weight on those legs to build up her muscles.. And AGAIN, I don't think the Polyvisol or the Vitamin E is necessary, right now Vitamin B, Vitamin B is specifically used for the legs and with the theropy, I'm sure in no time she'll be up and walking around...

Earlier you mentioned you were conflicting about giving them Polyvisol now your considering giving it to both? I really don't think either one needs it. I would just keep it on hand because someday you may need it and boom you'll be ready when necessary..

No, I don't even know why I brought that up... Scuba isn't getting/needing anything. Forget I even mentioned it

I want to thank everyone for the private messages, it really helps to get positive encouragement and advice :)

They're good, I think. When I came home from class my husband left for work and said they were both doing well. I went in their room to try to get Ducky to drink more water and eat out of the new feeder I got. Ducky walked a solid 2 feet upright and then flopped over! Little improvements! However, she keeps sliding around in the brooder into the water container. She keeps getting her side/back wet and it take forever for her to get dry again and it just seems to stress her out a lot. I have watched her slide into the water many times and she always looks like she is stuck at first, but she always holds her head up and knows exactly how to get out, so I try not to worry too much. The water isn't deep enough for her to get into serious trouble.

I tried giving her the Polyvisol and she did not like it. Also tried the boiled egg mash as suggested and she spit it out... I think it got in my mouth more than it got in hers!

I want to thank everyone for the private messages, it really helps to get positive encouragement and advice :)

They're good, I think. When I came home from class my husband left for work and said they were both doing well. I went in their room to try to get Ducky to drink more water and eat out of the new feeder I got. Ducky walked a solid 2 feet upright and then flopped over! Little improvements! However, she keeps sliding around in the brooder into the water container. She keeps getting her side/back wet and it take forever for her to get dry again and it just seems to stress her out a lot. I have watched her slide into the water many times and she always looks like she is stuck at first, but she always holds her head up and knows exactly how to get out, so I try not to worry too much. The water isn't deep enough for her to get into serious trouble.

I tried giving her the Polyvisol and she did not like it. Also tried the boiled egg mash as suggested and she spit it out... I think it got in my mouth more than it got in hers!
welcome-byc.gif
and best of luck with Ducky. Sounds like you are working hard for her.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom