Please Help! New Duckling Owners...

I want to thank everyone for the private messages, it really helps to get positive encouragement and advice :)

They're good, I think. When I came home from class my husband left for work and said they were both doing well. I went in their room to try to get Ducky to drink more water and eat out of the new feeder I got. Ducky walked a solid 2 feet upright and then flopped over! Little improvements! However, she keeps sliding around in the brooder into the water container. She keeps getting her side/back wet and it take forever for her to get dry again and it just seems to stress her out a lot. I have watched her slide into the water many times and she always looks like she is stuck at first, but she always holds her head up and knows exactly how to get out, so I try not to worry too much. The water isn't deep enough for her to get into serious trouble.

I tried giving her the Polyvisol and she did not like it. Also tried the boiled egg mash as suggested and she spit it out... I think it got in my mouth more than it got in hers!

Leg issues take a long time to recover and NO they don't like polyvisol.. If you really want her to take it. put I in the water with the Vitamin B

I want to thank everyone for the private messages, it really helps to get positive encouragement and advice :)

They're good, I think. When I came home from class my husband left for work and said they were both doing well. I went in their room to try to get Ducky to drink more water and eat out of the new feeder I got. Ducky walked a solid 2 feet upright and then flopped over! Little improvements! However, she keeps sliding around in the brooder into the water container. She keeps getting her side/back wet and it take forever for her to get dry again and it just seems to stress her out a lot. I have watched her slide into the water many times and she always looks like she is stuck at first, but she always holds her head up and knows exactly how to get out, so I try not to worry too much. The water isn't deep enough for her to get into serious trouble.

I tried giving her the Polyvisol and she did not like it. Also tried the boiled egg mash as suggested and she spit it out... I think it got in my mouth more than it got in hers!
What does your water container look like? Hoping you begin to see steady improvements soon.

Unfortunately, Ducky is not doing well today. We noticed yesterday that she seemed really stressed and couldn't settle down to fall asleep. Today she is the same, very weak, and not eating much. She kept sliding into her water and getting wet, but not drying herself off so we took the water out and are trying to get her to eat/drink outside of the brooder (with heat lamp). We are certain that she is in pain and suffering. We don't know what to do to make this easier for her :( any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, Ducky is not doing well today. We noticed yesterday that she seemed really stressed and couldn't settle down to fall asleep. Today she is the same, very weak, and not eating much. She kept sliding into her water and getting wet, but not drying herself off so we took the water out and are trying to get her to eat/drink outside of the brooder (with heat lamp). We are certain that she is in pain and suffering. We don't know what to do to make this easier for her
sad.png
any help is appreciated.
Well, like I have said I am not experienced when it comes to ducklings, so some seasoned duck people may chime in and say otherwise...but I think that you may need to hand feed and hydrate her. I hate to say force feed because she could aspirate, just gently offering a bit of food or water when she opens her mouth to peep. Do you have a syringe or eye dropper that you could give her 1 drop at a time and allow her to swallow? I have found that if you place a drop of water on the tip of their beak they'll open their mouths and drink it. With food I make the mash and stick a tiny bit under the little hook tip of the beak. Or you could make it watery and feed through the dropper.

I can totally relate, my baby isn't doing well either. I think that I may be to the point of hand feeding too. I'm going to make a mash with her feed, egg yolk and warm water.

Sending you prayers for your little girl
hugs.gif

I wish there was something that would get them out of this and on the right road, other than vitamin therapy I know of none, some respond really well others don't but you just have to keep trying till [they say] they are through fighting. jenniemig is right now you'll have to offer her food and water by hand very carefully, if you can mix her feed with the vits in it into a soupy mix she maybe able to drink it more than eat it. Praying for you both.
hugs.gif

I hope both of the weak babies get better. I've heard this happens with crested ducklings from time to time. It's like they get so frustrated with not being able to move the way they want to move that it upsets them a lot. Sometimes, they get better. I wouldn't give up.

Can you post an update about Ducky this morning? Any improvement?

My girl (or boy) is about the same. I started the Prednisolone and Selenium yesterday to go along with the Polyvisol. We'll have to see if the cocktail works.

We're all thinking about you
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom