Please Help! New Duckling Owners...

Any improvement with Ducky? Jenniemig seems to be having some success with vitamin therapy on her crested duckling. I hope yours is doing better, too.

Ducky is gaining weight and seems to be getting some new feathers, but not nearly as quickly as Scuba. Scuba is 3 times as big as Ducky and has tons of new feathers coming in... We can't leave her water dish in her box, because she falls into it and still won't dry herself off. She isn't walking (still slides around) and can't swimming now either. She is only getting her B-complex water, since she refuses to take anything else. It is clear to us that the vitamins are making her stronger, but haven't fixed her problems. We're almost certain she has sever neurological problems that are keeping her from doing simple things... We are starting to consider bringing her to a rehabilitation center, simply because what we're doing isn't helping her and it is hard to take care of her when we have jobs and are full-time students. Our spirits are low for sure :( any suggestions as to what to do next?

She refuses... She just spits it out or shakes her head until it's out of her mouth

Ducky is gaining weight and seems to be getting some new feathers, but not nearly as quickly as Scuba. Scuba is 3 times as big as Ducky and has tons of new feathers coming in... We can't leave her water dish in her box, because she falls into it and still won't dry herself off. She isn't walking (still slides around) and can't swimming now either. She is only getting her B-complex water, since she refuses to take anything else. It is clear to us that the vitamins are making her stronger, but haven't fixed her problems. We're almost certain she has sever neurological problems that are keeping her from doing simple things... We are starting to consider bringing her to a rehabilitation center, simply because what we're doing isn't helping her and it is hard to take care of her when we have jobs and are full-time students. Our spirits are low for sure :( any suggestions as to what to do next?
Glad you posted an update. If you lived near me I'd help you out, I completely understand I have a hectic schedule as well.

Qwackers does the crazy head shakes when she eats too. She slings most of the food out of her mouth, but as much as she is growing she must be eating some of it. I do give her 2 cups of mash each day and she has the dry food too.

If you can I would highly recommend dropper feeding her the vitamins. They fuss and resist at first but they get used to it after a few doses. I swaddle her in a towel, we call it a Qwacker burrito, and I give the meds. If you gently apply pressure to each side of the beak they will open up. Qwackers is now drinking her meds out of the dropper herself, all I do is hold it and squeeze the dropper.

I know it can be frustrating, with we could do more than just offer moral support
hugs.gif

I think we all understand and know that there comes a time when decisions need to be made, I think you'll do the right thing by Ducky, If you know this rehab center will give her the care she needs then by all means look into it. It's hard to give full time care to anything with special needs when your life is so full. Have you already talked to the rehab center about Ducky? It's a hard one for sure..
hugs.gif

I think we all understand and know that there comes a time when decisions need to be made, I think you'll do the right thing by Ducky, If you know this rehab center will give her the care she needs then by all means look into it. It's hard to give full time care to anything with special needs when your life is so full. Have you already talked to the rehab center about Ducky? It's a hard one for sure.. :hugs

X2
Well said Miss Lydia

I think we all understand and know that there comes a time when decisions need to be made, I think you'll do the right thing by Ducky, If you know this rehab center will give her the care she needs then by all means look into it. It's hard to give full time care to anything with special needs when your life is so full. Have you already talked to the rehab center about Ducky? It's a hard one for sure..
hugs.gif

X3
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom