Please help.....New hen owner!!

PiperPilot

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone!

I am a new backyard "mom" to two Golden Comets that my husband and I rescued yesterday. Their combs and wattles have white patches on them...looks like they have been "dusted with flour", they have also lost most of their neck and breast feathers. They are suppose to be 13 months old and came from a very OVER CROWDED flock other golden comets. Their diet and living conditions were deplorable..no water for them when we arrived to get them.
I have them on a good quality layer pellet, fresh/clean water, clean coop and run daily! I have ordered some mite/lice spray as I believe this might be an issue too.

Any advise is greatly welcomed:)

Hello everyone!

I am a new backyard "mom" to two Golden Comets that my husband and I rescued yesterday. Their combs and wattles have white patches on them...looks like they have been "dusted with flour", they have also lost most of their neck and breast feathers. They are suppose to be 13 months old and came from a very OVER CROWDED flock other golden comets. Their diet and living conditions were deplorable..no water for them when we arrived to get them.
I have them on a good quality layer pellet, fresh/clean water, clean coop and run daily! I have ordered some mite/lice spray as I believe this might be an issue too.

Any advise is greatly welcomed:)
Hi @PiperPilot :frow Welcome To BYC!

Can you post some photos of your hens?
Do you have any other chickens at this time or are these your first?

Hello and thank you for responding:)

Yes, I can post pictures tomorrow afternoon and yes, these are our first girls.
That would be great!

You mention white patches on the combs and wattles, one thing that comes to mind would be Favus which is a fungal infection, treatment would be with an anti-fungal cream (athlete's foot cream). Photo below is fairly advanced.
Feather loss could be due to poor nutrition, the living conditions they were in, mites/lice and/or molting.
It might be overwhelming for you at first, but just be patient. Keep us posted and we will try to help you through it all.

upload_2019-9-7_23-14-24.png

Photo credit

That's amazing thing you did for these girls , you sure have come to the best place around , there are lots of people with varying degrees of knowledge about just anything to do with out feathered friends. Welcome to BYC, if we don't know the answer most of us know who to tag for assistance.

Hello again :frow The feather issues can be a variety or combination of causes.... feather picking due to overcrowding, poor nutrition, early molting, lice/ mites. Most are easily fixed with some TLC and time. If the ‘white stuff’ on comb and wattles is fungal, over-the-counter Lotrimin will help. I assume you are planning to treat with permethrin spray for lice/mites? Just remember that you have to treat again after (I think) 10 days. Having more space, a clean and healthy environment and good nutrition will help the girls tremendously

Back
Top Bottom