Please help!!!!! New to BYC and one of my hens are getting pick on!!!

tewksburytony25

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
I have 7 hens about 25 to 30 weeks old the smallest em keeps getting pecked on she now has a bare bottom and almost her chest is bare how can I stop this please help!!! There is a lot of peckin. Going on in this coop and they eat there feathers

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You need to rub some coconut oil or vaseline on your birds bare butt. This will help if there is any redness or infection.

For ways to stop this pecking you need to make sure that the birds have lots of room. They should have 8-12 square feet per bird in their run and 3-5 square feet per bird in their coop. Also, boredom busters will help keep the pecking at bay. Hanging treats, greens, roosts, ladders, dirt, leaves and stumps are all great to use.

Pinless peepers can help too.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the advice mountain peeps they have plenty of room I think it just maybe boredom? I'm going to try and supply them with some things to keep them occupied durring the day

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your birds. Along with Mountain Peeps advice, you might figure out who is starting this and separate them out for a while. Usually one starts it and then the entire flock gets involved. Keep this bullied hen separated out too until she regrows her feathers. You can also use blu-kote on the skin to hide the bare skin. Chickens love to peck at bare skin. This way she can stay in the flock as her feathers grow.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice above. Good luck with your hens!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

You can put a pecking stop spray on the victim

If they are eating the feathers they may have a need for more protein in their diet. Try upping the protein and do give the poor girl a chance to heal

Back
Top Bottom