Please Help Newbie Duck owner very concerned??

tessbone95

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have never used this site before and I have never owned a duck before today. My boyfriend brought me 3 1 week old aylesbury ducklings from a farmers auction this morning and my dad kicked off about them being inside. I have currently got them living in a cage which I was told was okay by a pet shop, but they are living my my outhouse. I am really concerned that this is too cold for my ducklings and I am starting to panic. I have put sawdust in there for them, hay and a blanket. They also have 3 blankets tucked ontop and around their cage to prevent heat loss. The door on the outhouse is closed but will they be warm enough? Or will they be okay just for tonight til I can find them somewhere warmer....

I have grown to the ducklings already they are like my babies haha and I am really hoping they are not freezing so much so that I am tempted to go out there and sit with them all night if I have too. My parents feel this will be okay for them but I'm scared as they are so young.

Please could someone help me out as soon as possible as if it is to cold, I will have to beg and plead for them to be let inside just for tonight.

Thank you :)

.At one week old - ducklings need a heat lamp and about a 90 degree to 95 degree Fahrenheight steady temperature, They need to have a waterer where they can dip their beaks in up to the holes in the noses (nares)...If they tip their water over, they could get very wet. They don't have their permanant feathers and are vulnerable right now to the cold. Maybe you could find a nice big plastic storage container and keep some in their in the house.... I don't know your temperature, but Out houses this time of year are not generally 90 degrees. Good luck and maybe your friend would keep them for you until they are a bigger age!

Managed to get them in the house for tonight, until we can beg his relatives to keep them inside until they get a bit older. They are now drinking and eating away and chasing each other around happily. I am definately less concerned now they are inside. Thank You

Please read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 has lots of excellent info in it. and
welcome-byc.gif

Ducklings need heat lamps until they have feathers. Or it warms up quite a bit. I'm in MI, I've left lights on ~3-4 weeks. I've never brought them inside, but always in a sheltered barn. I will tell you this tho, while the temperature guidelines you were given above are absolutely correct and very good advice, my duck moms have had their babies outside (52'F) for the past two days. Ducks are tough creatures. Just get yourself a thermometer, monitor the temps, 90'F first week, raise the light and lower the temp by 5'F each week. Important for you to be sure your ducklings have water and dry bedding. Pop on over to the Learning Center, read a lot, talk to duck people, and start a new thread if you've got more questions! Aylesbury are beautiful, I'm jealous! :)

Back
Top Bottom