Please help, not sure what the problem is...

Pics
I am hoping that it might be just a riboflavin deficiency, but I think Mareks could be a possibility with her walking when the hock gives out and she ends up walking on the hock. It is normal for them to help balance with their wings when they have a leg giving out. Only time will tell. Mareks has many different symptoms and can present differently in different birds. A leg can feel a little numb when they put weight in it. Their are similarities with Mareks and riboflavin deficiency, which mainly causes walking on hocks and curled under toes. @rebrascora treats many birds with Mareks, so if she could have a look at he video in post 56, she would have more expertise. I suppose an injury to the hock tendon might also cause her hock to give out.

Last edited:
I am hoping that it might be just a riboflavin deficiency, but I think Mareks could be a possibility with her walking when the hock gives out and she ends up walking on the hock. It is normal for them to help balance with their wings when they have a leg giving out. Only time will tell. Mareks has many different symptoms and can present differently in different birds. A leg can feel a little numb when they put weight in it. Their are similarities with Mareks and riboflavin deficiency, which mainly causes walking on hocks and curled under toes. @rebrascora treats many birds with Mareks, so if she could have a look at he video in post 56, she would more expertise. I suppose an injury to the hock tendon might also cause her hock to give out.
I agree.

I am hoping that it might be just a riboflavin deficiency, but I think Mareks could be a possibility with her walking when the hock gives out and she ends up walking on the hock. It is normal for them to help balance with their wings when they have a leg giving out. Only time will tell. Mareks has many different symptoms and can present differently in different birds. A leg can feel a little numb when they put weight in it. Their are similarities with Mareks and riboflavin deficiency, which mainly causes walking on hocks and curled under toes. @rebrascora treats many birds with Mareks, so if she could have a look at he video in post 56, she would have more expertise. I suppose an injury to the hock tendon might also cause her hock to give out.
Thank you @Eggcessive, but if it’s Mareks, doesn’t that mean that all of my birds have it? And doesn’t Mareks get continually worse? She is getting better. And does Mareks gradually appear, or is it all of a sudden, because she was completely fine Friday morning, but by evening, she was like this, and since it’s only in her left leg, we thought it was an injury. Sorry for so many questions.

Mareks can happen suddenly or a little at a time. I think that @rebrascora can explain better than I can. All birds may not show symptoms of Mareks in a flock positive for Mareks. Some may have some immunity. The best way to positively diagnose it, as far as I know, is after you lose one, and then get a necropsy. So I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about it being Mareks, but just become familiar with symptoms in reading post 31.

I hate to jump on the Marek's bandwagon because there have been a few times that I have and I was wrong. One such bird started limping much like your bird and I assumed it was Marek's. I checked her over and could not find an injury. Her limping never got better, and it didn't get worse... that was at least four years ago.

If it was my bird I would de-worm, treat for coccidia, possibly treat for an infection, maybe even give an anti-inflammatory, and hope for the best.

Thank you @casportpony, how do you suggest I go about treating for these things. Like what medications and how should I do it. Also, please keep in mind that I’m in a smaller city in Canada and we I don’t have access to all of the medications, etc, that you might have in the US.
That does complicate things. :( You could try just the wormer and come Amprol, both of those should be easy for you to get. You could also try some vitamins and maybe a few days of calcium.

Back
Top Bottom