Please HELP.. not sure whats going on.....

country girl44

Chirping
Jun 13, 2016
Country Side
I have this one chick, and this is happening. she's in a coop with 9 others, and she's the only one this is happening too. There all 1 month old, not ready to go outside just yet.. what is happening?? she's now in a crate by herself but right next to her sisters.

Attachments

• sick1.jpg
    sick1.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 20
  • sick2.jpg
    sick2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Is that blood on her feathers?

Does the owie weep blood?

Does she bleed when she goes potty?

I don't know what is wrong with her. Someone else will probably have more questions and possibly an answer.

That looks like cannibalism. First thing I would do is up everyone's protein and give them more space.
What makes up their diet?
I don't know where you live but those birds would be outside in my climate at this age and time of year.
X2

Let's take it a step further.
Can you post some photos of where they are currently housed?
Do you have their outdoor housing ready?
Where are you located?

It looks like the chick has been picked on severely. Separating her so she can heal was a good idea. Flush the wounds with saline and apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

Watch to see that she is staying hydrated well and eating. You can add some poultry vitamins to her water to help with the healing process as well.

More than likely not enough space, possibly too much heat and boredom is the cause.Try to get them outside where they have plenty of room as soon as you can. For this little, she will have a hard time being integrated if you keep her separated until she completely heals - so placing her cage or kennel next to the others will be beneficial. If the spaces of the kennel are quite large where the others can reach in an peck at her, you may need to consider covering it with wire. In a few days, once she has scabbed over help hide the wounds by applying some Blu Kote, then put your ointment on top. If she goes outside, be mindful of flies lighting on the wounds as well.

That looks like cannibalism. First thing I would do is up everyone's protein and give them more space.
What makes up their diet?
I don't know where you live but those birds would be outside in my climate at this age and time of year.

I want them outside already but we have bigger older girls outside that would not be happy with them right now, and for us it still gets chilly at night. right now there eating chick started grower with 20% protein.. so their picking on her? it's not that she's sick??

Is that blood on her feathers?

Does the owie weep blood?

Does she bleed when she goes potty?

I don't know what is wrong with her. Someone else will probably have more questions and possibly an answer.

I have her in a different cage to see how she poops. it was dry blood before I washed it and took the photos.

Last edited:
They start picking feathers (93% protein) at the top of the tail and then proceed to consume flesh.
There is a difference between crude protein percentage and levels of amino acids. Vegetable sources of protein are usually deficient in lysine, methionine, cysteine and tryptophan.
I would probably try giving a can of mackerel to the flock. (cheapest source of high quality animal protein)
What is your plan for giving them more space and integrating?

I want them outside already but we have bigger older girls outside that would not be happy with them right now, and for us it still gets chilly at night. right now there eating chick started grower with 20% protein.. so their picking on her? it's not that she's sick??
What is chilly at night?
They should be able to handle 40-50F easily at this age.

X2

Let's take it a step further.
Can you post some photos of where they are currently housed?
Do you have their outdoor housing ready?
Where are you located?

It looks like the chick has been picked on severely. Separating her so she can heal was a good idea. Flush the wounds with saline and apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

Watch to see that she is staying hydrated well and eating. You can add some poultry vitamins to her water to help with the healing process as well.

More than likely not enough space, possibly too much heat and boredom is the cause.Try to get them outside where they have plenty of room as soon as you can. For this little, she will have a hard time being integrated if you keep her separated until she completely heals - so placing her cage or kennel next to the others will be beneficial. If the spaces of the kennel are quite large where the others can reach in an peck at her, you may need to consider covering it with wire. In a few days, once she has scabbed over help hide the wounds by applying some Blu Kote, then put your ointment on top. If she goes outside, be mindful of flies lighting on the wounds as well.

I can't post pictures of the housing because I'm at work right now. I know there getting big and bored for the area their in now, we are working on moving them to a bigger area this Thursday until their ready to go outside. I will leave her in the cage, but with the others until she is healed. the weather is nice enough to keep them in a bigger area in the garage, which is what we are working on this week, then by the end of this month we are hoping to get them outside with the other girls. I want to thank you for all the helpful info, and I'm glad I have the things to use to make her better. I also applied the ointment.

Back
Top Bottom