please help not sure whats wrong with my hen??

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
My hen just turned a year old today. She was acting normal earlier today eat and drinking normally. I went out to talk with them all and Bess was standing off by her self wing drooped down and she was all puffed up and acting sleepy. I checked her crop first and it was normal some food in it but not sour or impacted. (I have dealt with both before) Not sure if she laid an egg today I went from getting 4 and 5 eggs a day to 2 or 3 out of my Five hens. She had dried poop stuck to her but a few weeks ago and I gave her a bath then and added more ACV to their water and it went away. Tonight I noticed that she has her vet feather spread and her vent is making a pumping type motion. Not sure when she last pooped I did notice that she has some clear fluid coming out of her vent. I am thinking she is egg bound and have started treatment for that.
So far I gave her a warm bath, yogurt with live probiotics, molasses water and mineral oil

1 year old Speckled Sussex
Just started acting sick about 2 hours ago
droopy wings and tail puffed up feathers off by her self
acts sleepy
Crop is Normal
not eating or drinking now but was earlier today nothing new in diet
Clear fluid coming out pumping vent
Breathing is normal NO wheezing or raspy noises NO sneezing

Not sure when the last time she laid an egg but she was in the nest box for a while today and there was an egg in there after wards but it could have been any of my 5 hens their eggs are all the same color brown

any ideas??

Now that the Sky has stopped falling. lol I went back out to check on her and found this. There was not a broken shell or anything

this was her right after she passed that egg.

she seems to be back to normal(ish). She is still off by her self but will come over for a short visit that go back by her self. Is there something I should give her?

Last edited:
Never dealt with an egg bound bird as I am fairly new to chockrns but ildo believe you are correct in your diagnosis from what ive read...again not an expert by any meams

Looks like she is pooping and isn't egg bound. keep us posted.
caf.gif

It's not going to hurt her that she had a shell less egg and a little tiny egg? I mean she wont get an infection or anything? I threw some crumble in with her and she ate it and is drinking now. Since It was an egg type issue and not something contagious I put her back in with the flock and she seems happier.

Hello!
I have a hen who used to frequently act like she was about to die and then a few hours later pass an egg that was soft/deformed/ broken. The first time it was so severe that i actually had to retrieve a piece of membrane from inside of her vent that she wasn't able to pass even with a bath. What I found worked and what I am suggesting to you is to keep a stress free environment with lots of nutrition around and to supplement their diet with either dried and broken egg shells or oyster shells that you can find at your feed store. She's a beauty and hopfully this will resolve it self.
xoxo
-roxyblue

Back
Top Bottom