Please help - one of my girls is sick

That's a long time to feel miserable. If it is possible for you to get her the help of an avian vet, it may save her life. If there is a stuck egg, they can get it out....
JJ

Many thanks again for all your replies. She seems to be over the worst now. I thought she was gone. Perserverence and ignorance saved her I think. We bathed, force fed, hot water bottled, scratched around with her for bugs, massaged, poked and prodded for 2 weeks. She is now back with the other 4. Not at number 1 as she was, but maybe 2 or 3. I'm just glad she's alive - still keeping a close eye on her, but I want to get her back on track. (don't care if she never lays again - just back into the flock) The swelling has gone down - it was nearly the size of a tennis ball, and always hot. She's back to about 70% normal now. Time will do the rest, and plenty of attention. Thanks again - learning curve was huge. Whole nother world...

Salpingitis, where egg material and infection builds in the oviducts, is caused when high-production types (which are most of the common hatchery breeds) have feces sucked back into the oviduct by a "loose" cloaca. Then, an ecoli infection begins.

Wishing the best for your girl.

Back
Top Bottom