Please help - pecking getting worse

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
While out cleaning up the coop today, I watched my 2 SLW chase down one of my EE's and jump on top of her and peck her. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with 5 of my 6 chickens losing feathers by their butts, but this particular EE is worse and I've been finding broken wing feathers and it's starting to travel up her neck now. I think the one that is not losing feathers must be protecting the EE somewhat bc she kept running to her. It seems to be mainly one of the SLW that is attacking more than the other. My husband's work friend has chickens and said he would take the worst one and see what happens at his coop. I may have to give the other SLW up too if that doesn't seem to work.
My questions are - will removing the problem chickens help me, or will the order just shift so someone else becomes the bully? Also, are there any other ideas out there, other than killing them myself, b/c I'm having a hard time with this - these SLW's have always been more skittish so I'm not as attached to them, but I got these guys as my pets and I feel horrible taking them from their home. We plan to take the bully to the new home tonight at dark (I'm told this is the best time for them to adjust so if not please let me know!!!), so as much advice as possible in the next couple hours would be very much appreciated!!!!

I had to do a similar thing with one of my hens. She was attacking my other hens and pulling all the feathers out of their heads. I rehomed her with bigger hens with a friend of mine and she is now much happier and living happily with her new hens and my ones are getting some peace from the bully. There is always going to be one who is top of the pecking order but she had gone beyond the normal controlling the others. Hopefully your story will end as happily

1. Increase the level of protein in their food. Lot of picking occurs from lack of protein.
2. Use Blu-cote on the injuries.
3. Separate the bully for a week and then reintroduce her back into the flock. She'll become low on the pecking order and the other bird will defend herself.
4. Make sure you have a big enough coop. Most aggression occurs because of too small space. Minimum 4 square feet per bird.

Good luck!

Consider "pinless-peepers".
93695_peepers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom