Please help Pistacio!

zoereef1221

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2016
North Carolina
My 1.5 year old Indian runner has a swollen face and swollen area under her bill. She is a little shaky and either won’t quack or cannot quack, and is very easy to catch. She sat in her pind all day today alone which is not like her. From other posts I believe this may be a sinus infection? Her nostrils were very clogged to the point it sounded hard for her to breathe. I flushed them gently and goopy peices of grass/hay came out- her nose is clear now. She is drinking and pooping- mostly white.

My question is how do I heal her 🥺

Here are pics of Pistacio

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    651.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    838.2 KB · Views: 5
A vet would be best but if that isn't possible then
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
She needs help asap.

Here is doses
It is given at a dose of 0.05ml per pound of body weight, orally, twice a day for five straight days. If the duck is laying you will want to avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks to eliminate the chance of antibiotic contamination into your system.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I will try this! You don’t need a prescription? And would you suggest isolating her or let her stay with her friends for less stress?

Also, that website even if I do priority shipping says 3-10 business days. Tractor supply carries penicillin and Tylan? Would it be wise to start with one of those until the Baytril comes in? They’re only injectable though and listed for pig and cattle but the people there said you can source out the much lower dose for a duck. I realize they are different antibiotics , that’s just a long time to start treatment ☹️ chewy.com only has it for cats/dogs in tablet form. I’m going to call my local feed store when they open too, they keep some stuff in stock and they may carry the Baytril 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Thank you!!

I’m currently waiting for Baytril to arrive, I grabbed three bottles as rumor has it all antibiotics are going off the shelf without a prescription… will be good to have on hand. I’m currently treating with Vetrx and electrolyte/probiotic mix in the water. She was walking around more with her friends today, and made some soft quacks which is more than I had yesterday! Still hoping she pulls through 🙏

Please give us updates!
Pistacio update!! She is hanging with her friends doing all the ducky things. The swelling is gone, nose is clear and she is back to her happy self!

I used electrolytes in her water everyday along with respiratory rx in her water and also applied directly around her nose, underwings, etc. all places she would put her bill when sleeping. I’m glad I didn’t have to whip out the antibiotics but I have three bottles on hand now!

Thanks so so much the help everyone! I’ll post a pic when she sits still again 🙈

Back
Top Bottom