Please help!! Possible Overheated Chicks?

I would suspect Mareks because of the symptoms you described in your 1 yr. old hen that died last month, however, you said she was vaccinated for Mareks. First questions is, are you absolutely sure about that? Vaccination for Mareks doesn't mean your birds can't be infected, but if they are, the vaccine is supposed to prevent the cancer-like cells that cause brain lesions and internal tumors. In other words, a Mareks vaccinated chicken should not die from the disease.

Were these current chicks supposedly vaccinated a well? Did you get them from a well known hatchery or did they come from a local breeder?

If you can confirm that all were vaccinated, I would suggest you contact your State Veterinarian and discuss the two deaths and the illness of two more with him/her. There are a couple of other diseases/conditions that can cause paralysis and convulsion (twisted neck) like that, but most can't be definitely diagnosed until a necropsy is done after death.

The older hen came from a hatchery so I am almost sure she was vaccinated. The babies were hatched by their mother last month and were not vaccinated. They have not displayed any signs of illness and the 2 who died seemed to just drop dead all of a sudden.

When you order from most hatcheries you will be give the option to pay extra for having your chicks vaccinated. Vaccination for Mareks is not automatic. If it's possible that the hen was not vaccinated, then the next logical question is, how did she become exposed to Mareks? Have you added any new birds to your flock within the past couple of months? If not, then you might rule out Mareks (at least for the time being) and think that coccidiosis is to blame (based upon your description of dried blood on the dead chick's feet). If you have not been feeding the chicks medicated chick starter they would be more susceptible to the cocci infection (and, yes, chicks can die very quickly from that). As a process of elimination, I'd treat with Sulmet or Corrid in case it is cocci. If there's no rapid improvement, I suggest you contact your Vet or your State Veterinarian for expert diagnosis.

I am pretty sure these baby chicks have cocci. Yesterday afternoon they started pooping blood and huddling together. I went out to TSC and got some Corid to start them on. I was feeding them medicated feed so I don't know how this happened. They seem a little better today but I am not sure how long until they are back to normal. I hope they make it
fl.gif

They don't seem to be paralyzed so I think yesterday it was a combination of being too hot and the cocci.

Last edited:
I have my chicks on medicated feed and have had to treat for cocci as well. Since I have never not used the medicated feed I don't know if it helps them fight it or what. But I do know that they still seem to get it. Luckily the corid works well.

Back
Top Bottom