Please help! Possible Vent Gleet?

Is her eye color gray like the one below, or is it cloudy? Mareks still could be a possible problem because of the lameness, wasting, and if the eye is changing in color. If you feel like she is suffering, you may want to put her down, or get her euthanized. The state vet or poultry lab can perform a necropsy to look for what is wrong with her, and they can also euthanize. Here is some info about necropsy and state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

2years-blondMareks.jpg

I guess they both look a little cloudy, or gray. Thank you for the information. This is hard knowing what the right thing to do is. I do feel like she's suffering though. I don't know how much chickens can go through and then recover. We bought 5 chicks a little over a year ago. The first one almost positively contracted Marek's and we lost her. It was painful to witness and I was worried about the other chickens but after almost a year they have seemed fine. We did lose another one suddenly, found her dead in the coop after showing no symptoms. We thought maybe she broke her neck. Now I have this hen, her symptoms have presented themself so much different from the first chicken I lost so I thought maybe she was egg bound. She hasn't layed an egg in 3 weeks. I have no idea what is ailing her and we can't afford to take her to a vet who will most likely just give us pain meds. That's what they did with our first hen.

Last edited:
The cloudy eyes look more like cataracts or the cloudiness from blindness. Blindness can occur from eye infections, avian encephalomyelitis (AE,) vitamin E or A deficiency, Mareks, and other causes. You might want to call your state vet or Dept. of Agriculture about how much a necropsy might cost to look for a cause of death if you lose her. If you live within driving distance it can be less expensive, and in a few states it is free. The body must be refrigerated.

We had to put her down after my last post. We now only have 2 left. Both bantam. One a rooster. The hen hasn't layed an egg in a month. No other symptoms other than molting. Do you think this is starting all over?
1f61e.png

We had to put her down after my last post. We now only have 2 left. Both bantam. One a rooster. The hen hasn't layed an egg in a month. No other symptoms other than molting. Do you think this is starting all over?
1f61e.png
I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Molting and lower light levels in winter will make a hen stop laying eggs. Once she has molted, it can take a while to resume laying, it may not be until toward then end of winter - each hen is different.

I'm sure @Eggcessive may have more input when she is online.

Back
Top Bottom