Please help! Possible Vent Gleet?

It is not always DOOM and GLOOM as most replies indicate.....I always reply to the latter....I never have had any of the common illnesses others seam to know so much about.....As long as Chickens are fed and managed properly they remain very healthy....
I believe your dealing with injury and not illness.....

Cheers!
Thank you!

She doesn't have nasal drainage or labored breathing. Our chickens were not vaccinated for Marek's. We have a bantam rooster who could have accident damaged her eye when mating. She has always had a bald spot on the top of her head from him. She is eating and trying to get around as best she can.
Lameness can be from injuries most of the time, but just want you to be aware of possible causes. As with anything, give it some time, treat with rest, and look for any more symptoms. Good luck.

Update! Her eye is better but she still has a limp. Hoping it is only an injury and she will heal up!

Hopefully she will get better. How does she limp--does she put weight on it at all, does she drag it, or does she hold it up some? It sometimes can help to treat with a poultry vitamin in the water or feed. Rooster Booster makes several types, and others as well.

Came out to check on my hen and she is not looking good. Her is eye partially closed again and she was laying at the bottom of the coop and could not get up. She has dropping stuck to her feathers on her behind (I believe because she is not able to roost), I separated her. Her droppings look odd. Should I soak her to get her clean? She looks really bad. Don't know what to do.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
She can be cleaned up with a quick shallow soak in warm soapy water, but be sure to towel dry her and let her dry inside completely. I would imagine her messy bottom is due to her illness. Make sure that she is eating and drinking, offer some chick vitamins to her water, and see if she will eat some chopped egg. How old is your hen? With lameness and a droopy eye, Mareks comes to mind, but so many of the reproductive disorders (internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites) can cause sleepiness, lameness, poor appetite, weight loss in the chest, and runny droppings. Let us know how she is doing later.

I brought her inside and soaked her. Upon closer inspection she seems to be wasting away. Her eye is cloudy and she can barely walk and her breast bone is protruding. She also seems to have a red, swollen vent that is painful to the touch. I don't know what to do? I can't stand to see her suffer. :(

Back
Top Bottom