Please help! Pullet is very sick!

Island Chick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Puget Sound
My favorite chicken Kevin (15 weeks old) was not doing very good when I checked in him about an hour ago. He has always been a bit runty, but today he never left his dog box, and isn't eating or drinking on his own. He had a poopy butt so I gave him a bath and blow dried before putting him under a heat lamp.

I just started him on a pretty concentrated duramycin solution (1/3 tsp in a large glass of water). Has perked up a tiny bit since I've been dunking his beak into the water ever few minutes but still very sick and lethargic.

No idea what is wrong or what to even try treating him with. He is my little pet and loves to snuggle in my lap while I watch tv or lays in the sun with me while I tan so I will be crushed if he doesn't make it :(

My favorite chicken Kevin (15 weeks old) was not doing very good when I checked in him about an hour ago. He has always been a bit runty, but today he never left his dog box, and isn't eating or drinking on his own. He had a poopy butt so I gave him a bath and blow dried before putting him under a heat lamp.

I just started him on a pretty concentrated duramycin solution (1/3 tsp in a large glass of water). Has perked up a tiny bit since I've been dunking his beak into the water ever few minutes but still very sick and lethargic.

No idea what is wrong or what to even try treating him with. He is my little pet and loves to snuggle in my lap while I watch tv or lays in the sun with me while I tan so I will be crushed if he doesn't make it
sad.png
Any other symptoms? Look up information for Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract. Some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss,general look of unwell. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)dosage for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon of water(this may be increased to almost 1 tsp(actual .92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose)Treat ALL chickens for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,interferes with the ability of medication to work. Try adding warm water(you can use medicated water for this also)to feed,chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

Already treated with Corid twice now, once at 10 weeks old and again about a week ago (the end date of treatment was a week ago).

I'm wondering if it is possibly a bacterial infection? For about 2 months now he has just sort of gotten by. Not healthy exactly but not dying either. Happily has been going outside, loves to stretch out in the sun. Just never a super perky guy and always sort of puffed up.

And yea, Kevin is a girl if anyone is confused. Just always called her a him so it stuck.

Already treated with Corid twice now, once at 10 weeks old and again about a week ago (the end date of treatment was a week ago).

I'm wondering if it is possibly a bacterial infection? For about 2 months now he has just sort of gotten by. Not healthy exactly but not dying either. Happily has been going outside, loves to stretch out in the sun. Just never a super perky guy and always sort of puffed up.

And yea, Kevin is a girl if anyone is confused. Just always called her a him so it stuck.
What dose did you use? Have they been wormed? Always puffed up indicates that something is wrong,tricky part is determining what it is. Bacterial infection is possible,see if she responds to duramycin. how is her poop?

Poop has up until today been normal. Well formed, normal cecals. Today, rather watery with light green loose/gooey somewhat formed solids but I figure the not eating is to blame.

I used one teaspoon of the 20% powder in 1000ml (he has a large rabbit water bottle). Generally made every day, sometimes twice daily if hot out.

Have not wormed yet, I have fenbendazole (my horses tube wormer) but have been hesitant to worm with him appearing so lethargic. We don't have a big worm population whatsoever where he has been exposed to.

Keep trying to add pictures but so far got nothing. It's a hit or miss when they actually seem to get added to my posts.

Will Corid actually cure coccidiosis or just prevent it? I'm curious for my own flock's sake.

And sure hope your little guy feels better, Island Chick! I have a close chicken-friend just like Kevin. Prayers!
hugs.gif

From my research, Corid at a lower dose like the levels medicated chick starter has are more of a preventative of a large outbreak (it inhibits the cocci from being able to uptake an amino acid they need to survive). At higher dosages it is able to kill off the larger populations that cause symptoms.

Well he has started sort of gargling, like he has phlegm in his chest but there are no sounds in the lungs. Not sure if its fluid coming up from crop maybe? Crop is pretty empty again, had filled up a bit with the water and eggs I forced him to swallow but at least it's emptying.

But he is standing now without falling flat on his face. So balance is better. And if I poke him over he squawks and can right himself.

I had been weighing him about once a week or so, in roughly 3-4 weeks has gone from 1lb 3oz to 1lb 6oz. Was up to 1lb 8oz a few days ago. If that gives an idea of the slow growth Kevin has. And he is 15 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom