Please help quail with bent neck and (apparent) seizure

ILLUZIONOFSAFTY

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
My quail was doing fine this morning, but this noon I found him having something like a seizure and has bent neck (it’s like 180 degree turned clockwise). after a few min she recovered, but after half an hour she did this again and have fluffed feathers. apparant she can stand, but can’t walk and doesn’t want to eat. She has rapid breathing. We had mareks in our flock but have it under control. 3 quails in total have know marek.
Here is a picture of her.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ri5XKqaicN6_BiqPFQs6msQOv0MXepc/view?usp=drivesdk

I am so sorry about your bird. :hugsIf this is Mareks, there isn't much you can do for her. Sometimes if they boink their heads on the ceiling of their enclosure they can damage their spinal columns or even develop a concussion. This will cause neurological issues like inability to walk, they may circle or even walk backwards. Paralysis is common in wings, legs, feet. They can also have tremors after a boink.

Supportive care is about all you can do in either of these cases. Keep her inside and in a dimmly lit area. Hand feed her what ever she will eat, even if that is human food of some sort, fruit, meal worms, just anything to keep her alive as she heals. Dip her beak in her water once an hour during the day to keep her hydrated. You might add vitamins to her water, maybe even a bit of sugar to keep her blood sugar up in her brain. And hopefully she heals.

Thank you so much! I suspect it was marek, so I gave her some St. John’s wort. (It cured 3 quails with mareks before). I’ve taken her inside now and provided grass bedding, some corns, and vitamin c & e. she seizures once more (the interval is about half an hour) and now she is sleeping.

Thank you so much! I suspect it was marek, so I gave her some St. John’s wort. (It cured 3 quails with mareks before). I’ve taken her inside now and provided grass bedding, some corns, and vitamin c & e. she seizures once more (the interval is about half an hour) and now she is sleeping.
Yes, St John's wort is very helpful for this virus! The only bird I ever had with a seizure was a Lovebird. She had seizure 2 to 3 times a week. Strangely, she responded to Apple Cider Vinegar in her water, (1/2 teaspoon ACV to one gallon of water, reduced accordingly to their waterer) must have been something the AVC she was lacking, and her seizures went down to once a month. You might try this, it can't hurt.

She might benefit from vitamin B, D and E. If she has deficiencies in these vitamins, it can cause weak necks, Wry Neck its called. These vitamins will strengthen her weak muscles.

What are you feeding her?

21% protein feed, we give them vegetable to eat 2-3 times a day, corn about once 2 days.
and I’ll definitely try ACV, thank you
You really should stop the daily treats. It's taking away from them getting a balanced diet which can cause problems like you're seeing.

Do you have confirmed Marek's disease on your land?

Oh ok, well the quails aren’t really into the vegetables and corns, they still prefer the feeds. but I’ll stop them for a while and see. Anyways thank you.
also, now her seizure is continous, has very rapid breathing. Should I consider to cull her? she Seems very painful.

Oh ok, well the quails aren’t really into the vegetables and corns, they still prefer the feeds. but I’ll stop them for a while and see. Anyways thank you.
also, now her seizure is continous, has very rapid breathing. Should I consider to cull her? she Seems very painful.
If she is suffering, culling her is the most humane thing to do. I am so sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom