Please help!! Red mite infestation

My coop is a hideously expensive timber kids cubby house (with porch, letterbox and proper windows: they saw us coming a mile off šŸ¤‘) that was used for all of 2 years or so and then abandoned. So I converted it to a coop. I installed an automatic chicken guard door, had perches and boxes built, and laid wood chip on the floor. It was wonderful until the mites came and ruined it. Itā€™s impossible to get into every nook and cranny. But I waited until dark in the hope that theyā€™d come out, and I flea bombed the coop.
I have four silkie hens about 10-12 months old. Three had started laying. But none have laid an egg in weeks. Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s a normal reaction to the mites šŸ˜•. They are currently all installed in a fox proof day run with plastic sheeting and green canvas tarps over the top, and a big plastic travel pet box inside with newspapers (where they sleep). They must be so confused, poor buggers. But better that than bitten all night.

Update: after three weeks and hundreds of dollars worth of product, I finally got rid of the mites. I have put my four silkies back in their coop. šŸ¤—šŸ¤—
But hereā€™s the thing. They are still reluctant to go in at night and even when they do go in, they sleep on the floor and avoid the nesting boxes. I have put a white rag in the coop and checked it in the morning- no mites. I have stood in the coop at night with a torch, inspecting every surface. Nothing whatsoever.
They were in the alternate coop for three weeks. Is it possible they still have negative associations? Or could the mites still be there and I canā€™t see them. I looked carefully, it seems unlikely. I saw them well enough the first time šŸ˜

Update: after three weeks and hundreds of dollars worth of product, I finally got rid of the mites. I have put my four silkies back in their coop. šŸ¤—šŸ¤—
But hereā€™s the thing. They are still reluctant to go in at night and even when they do go in, they sleep on the floor and avoid the nesting boxes. I have put a white rag in the coop and checked it in the morning- no mites. I have stood in the coop at night with a torch, inspecting every surface. Nothing whatsoever.
They were in the alternate coop for three weeks. Is it possible they still have negative associations? Or could the mites still be there and I canā€™t see them. I looked carefully, it seems unlikely. I saw them well enough the first time šŸ˜
Being housed somewhere else for 3 weeks was long enough to make this coop "new" to them. It may take them several days to figure out this is where they are to "live". Just put them in there at night, they will adjust.

I've never had Silkies, but my understanding is that most do not roost and prefer to sleep on the floor. Nesting boxes are for laying eggs - a lot depends on location of boxes, how they are made, etc. Some birds prefer a darker/quieter corner to lay eggs. I have a few hens that use the boxes, while the others prefer the back corner.

It sounds like you got rid of the mites :clap
Yep what Wyorp Rock said, they'll have to get use to their new coop again and you might need to place them on the roost each night till they get the idea. I only have Silkies and mine all roost (unless their broody!)
You could try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay in that area.
..And well done for getting rid if your mite problem, hopefully your Silkies will thank you for it by offering cuddles and plenty of fresh eggs :)

We didn't really make a dent in our infestation until we soaked our girls. Each one went into first a bucket of clean water then a bucket with water and whatever solution we were using. They hated us, but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom