Please Help, Reeve's Dying.

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
My wife walked outside yesterday around noon to look at the birds and noticed that one of my Reeve's hens was dead. I noticed her acting weird the day before, not as flighty as usual and just sitting there like she was cold. I didn't think much of it, things are hectic now to say the least.
I went out yesterday afternoon to find the other hen acting the same as the first. I picked her up and she was nothing but skin and bones, it was bad. She also was covered in lice, which is unusual because I never see any on my birds. I took her inside, put some permethrin on her to kill the lice. I then gave her some egg white mixture I learned about on here and kept her in a box. A few hours later she was dead.
Now my male is acting weird, just laying around and not being as active as usual. I picked him up, he still was hard to catch though, which I thought was a good sign. He still was hefty and didn't have any lice as far as I could tell. So what could be causing all of this?
I spread some fertilizer and seed on an adjacent vacant pen, however I did it by hand and did my best to not get any in their pen. If they ate some could that be fatal? However that does not really explain the weight loss in the hens and I know I see them eat. Thanks in advance

I have been feeding them Purina game bird layena chow. What is the best way to worm them, I have both safeway goat wormer as well as ivermectin injectable. I hear different opinions on how and what to do as well as what to use.

Okay, I did a little research and came up with a plan to worm my pheasants and peafowl. Starting today:
4-Oct give safeguard, 3cc per gal water for 3 days.
17-Oct, repeat safeguard
4-Nov, give .25cc ivormec for peafowl, approx half or less for pheasants, depending on weight.
4-June, repeat safeguard.
17-June, repeat safeguard
17-July, repeat ivormec

Let me know if this is a good plan or not.
I just started my collection and am fairly new to all of this. I knew I needed to worm my birds but I was a little hesitant because I really wasn't sure how to do it. It was one of those hard learned lessons, I just hate thinking the birds may have died due to my neglect since I am trying my best.

Last edited:
all looks good except july ivomec, it will affect the eggs if they are still laying, I use it 30 days before laying season. and after they stop laying. About late Aug.

Ok, I didn't know that it would affect the eggs. Maybe I will use the ivormec in Early April. The safeguard is fine as far as the eggs go then?

Yes, but i still like them wormed before laying.

I worm peafowl before laying season and after late Aug.

Now sure thats what kill your pheasants. Few Diseases do the same, they go light.

Now eating and losing weight is one sign of heavy worm infection.

But bleach the pen, in case it was something else.

All of the pens are attached, so I would think the other birds would exhibit the same problems if it was a disease.

Pumpkin is a natural wormer for birds and just by chance they are in season.It works good and your birds will love them.I use ivemectin also,1 cc per gallon.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom