please help!? Roaster is very lethargic

Do you have a straw or pipthe where you can draw some fluids up and drop them inside his beak a drop or two at a time? Otherwise I don’t think he will make it. A vet could give him fluids through a needle under his skin, or you could try to tube feed him.
what type of fluids? I tried giving him some more Powerade and he drank a little bit.

The Powerade is good, water with sugar, or plain water if he doesn’t like the Powerade. But he could use the electrolytes. Here is a video on tube feeding:

For just fluids and not food, a piece of aquarium air tubing is good, and it will connect to a feed store 35 ml syringe. Raw egg and plain yogurt will pass through that size tube. For KayTee baby bird feed or chicken feed run through a blender and mixed with a lot of water, you would need a larger feeding tube and syringe. A vet office might sell that and Amazon sells tube feeding kits for baby goats that would work.

Well, that is a problem with having more than one cockerel or rooster in a flock. How many hens do you have? It might be time to separate them, and decide which one you will keep. Some people will keep one rooster in a bachelor pen, and rotate them in and out at intervals.

I have raised baby chicks from hatching my own eggs. You will always have too many roosters, and they can be hard to give away or rehome. Usually in a smaller flock, only one rooster is best. I have kept 2 or 3 in a flock temporarily, but they need to be docile, and the younger ones need to understand who the boss is or they will get hurt. Too many roosters keep the hens upset and may affect laying.

I have raised baby chicks from hatching my own eggs. You will always have too many roosters, and they can be hard to give away or rehome. Usually in a smaller flock, only one rooster is best. I have kept 2 or 3 in a flock temporarily, but they need to be docile, and the younger ones need to understand who the boss is or they will get hurt. Too many roosters keep the hens upset and may affect laying.
I agree, I’ve seen it in my own flock. My three cockerels are always chasing my hens.

Do you think he has been kept from food and water? The melon is a good idea. I would let him have more if he takes it.
Update, I brought him inside and he’s eaten here and there, we also gave him some Powerade by mouth. He’s still a little lethargic, but has a little more energy. He’s also still breathing rapidly and his comb is a dark red color with a white powdery look.

Back
Top Bottom