please help!? Roaster is very lethargic

Krysthal109

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2023
Good afternoon, one of my roosters is very lethargic, the day before yesterday he was slightly eating and he was drinking a lot of water because of the heat I’m guessing. Yesterday he barely ate anything, his crop was empty. And I only saw him drinking a little bit of water. Today he’s very lethargic he’s not drinking or eating. I gave him a hard boiled egg but he was not interested. He’s also panting very loud and breathing very fast. Please help me!!!

How hot is it there? Could he have heatstroke? Maybe dehydration? Can you dip his beak into water for a half second, and repeat to get him drinking? Use a dropper to place it near his beak if needed. Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? Gatorade, Pedialyte, SaveAChick work well. Has he been wormed recently? What is your general location?

How hot is it there? Could he have heatstroke? Maybe dehydration? Can you dip his beak into water for a half second, and repeat to get him drinking? Use a dropper to place it near his beak if needed. Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? Gatorade, Pedialyte, SaveAChick work well. Has he been wormed recently? What is your general location?
Currently it’s 92 degrees, I’m located in Florida. I have some Powerade, would that work? How much should I give him? He hasn’t been wormed, can I give him ivermectin? I’ve noticed his droppings are runny and a yellowish white color.

Just get him drinking the Powerade, as much as you can get into him. It has sugar and electrolytes that can help revive him if he has heat exhaustion or dehydration. Make sure he drinks enough before offering him food. Mushy watery chicken feed and scrambled egg or tuna would be good. Dry feed is okay too, but I usually add a little water to most things to add more fluids. Is he drooping his wings or holding them away from his body?

Just get him drinking the Powerade, as much as you can get into him. It has sugar and electrolytes that can help revive him if he has heat exhaustion or dehydration. Make sure he drinks enough before offering him food. Mushy watery chicken feed and scrambled egg or tuna would be good. Dry feed is okay too, but I usually add a little water to most things to add more fluids. Is he drooping his wings or holding them away from his body?
Yes, his wings are drooping slightly

Here’s him

Attachments

• IMG_5496.jpeg
    IMG_5496.jpeg
    580.1 KB · Views: 15
Does he seem skinny to you? Could he have been prevented from eating or drinking by other birds? His comb is darker on the tips, another sign of dehydration. Make sure to have multiple feeders and waterers around the area where they spend their days.

He’s very very skinny, I gave him the Powerade in a drinking container and he was not interested at all, I then gave him a few drops with a dropper and he it all just fell out. When I put him down he barely walks and when he does walk he walks slowly and hides under something. I’m very worried.

Do you have a straw or pipthe where you can draw some fluids up and drop them inside his beak a drop or two at a time? Otherwise I don’t think he will make it. A vet could give him fluids through a needle under his skin, or you could try to tube feed him.

Back
Top Bottom