Lethargic and ruffled chicks

Animal-lover339

Songster
5 Years
Oct 10, 2018
Puerto rico
Good morning,I found yesterday 4 of my biggest layer chicks lethargic and ruffled very weak and lethargic one of them is worse it can’t walk I’m giving some corid mixed in with water thinking maybe it’s a possibility but they don’t seem to try and drink giving them water as I write this any tips or ideas? I gave them some sugar water but didn’t seem to help I also put some cardboard under them so I could observe their droppings they are very runny
image.jpg
image.jpg the biggest three are actually eating on their own but not trying to drink

Here is the link to check for the correct dosage:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Some strains of coccidia don't respond to amprolium and would need to be treated with something like Toltrazuril, SMZ-TMZ or Sulfadimethoxin.

It is important to only add vitamin supplements that do not contain vitamin B1 (thiamine) during treatment.

I hope they will get better soon!

Last edited:
the biggest three are actually eating on their own but not trying to drink
Would they eat wet feed?
Sometimes you can add water to their chick starter, and they will eat it that way. If you use some of the corid water for this, they will be getting their medicine as well as water when they eat the wet feed.

I would try just a little bit at first, to see what they think of it and how much of it they will want to eat.

Here is the link to check for the correct dosage:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Some strains of coccidia don't respond to amprolium and would need to be treated with something like Toltrazuril, SMZ-TMZ or Sulfadimethoxin.

It is important to only add vitamin supplements that do not contain vitamin B1 (thiamine) during treatment.

I hope they will get better soon!
Thanks so much! This helped a lot Two chicks died but the other three seem way better

Back
Top Bottom