Please help! Rooster attacking hen(s)

Greetings austintexasredhead,

I hear in your words, that you also care about your rooster. I understand that, totally.

But, here's my experience with roosters...not only are they social creatures, they have instincts, and intelligence. Roosters are a lot like parrots, as far as their capacity to learn. Even though a parrot ranks higher in intelligence. Thus, I have had great success in training my roosters. First they learn, I am stronger, then, they learn words and phrases.The phrase, "No Peck", is the first thing they learn. Some learn by one year old, some like my current, RIR, "Frito", learned by 1.5 years old. He was very powerful and extremely aggressive as a youngster. Now, he is my buddy, follows and comes on command. If I tell him not to bother a certain hen, he walks away. Yes, he knows all the hen's names, the cats, and the dog's too.

Training a rooster involves understanding the instincts and over riding them by appealing to the intelligence of the bird, with training. And even with training, instincts will sometimes overrule. Especially when hormones are riding high, like now during Spring. But, here's where maturity, along with training can allow the rooster to develop into a well rounded leader of the flock.

Here's your problem - your rooster has been learning from his instincts. These instinctive behaviors of aggression, have been reinforced by your decision not to intervene. So, in a way, you have taught him this is OK.

I have read that chickens can learn over 300 words, and recognize 500 faces. Their level of intelligence is usually dismissed, because it takes a lot of time to train them. Time that many keepers don't have. Running a farm, homestead or family can be demanding and time consuming.

To answer your question: will isolation help. No. It most likely will make him either depressed, and/or, more aggressive.

I don't know if he can un-learn what he has already been doing. In the future, there are going to be hens that he doesn't like, or that don't like him. During breeding season, roosters don't take well to refusal. There are many posts, about roosters even killing hens.

In my opinion, this is a challenge for a keeper that has the time, patience, and experience to correct, if it is possible.

These are my thoughts on your rooster. I hope they are helpful in some way.

God Bless :)

I have separated rooster for a year or more while they mature. As long as they can be seen daily through a fence I have had no problems with them integrating back into the flock. The rooster in my avatar and his brother were penned separately for 2 years. Now they are both free and for the most part are great rooster.

I would question whether maturity will help your rooster. I have had a few that were aggressive towards the hens and have culled all of them. It could be they are just stupid or it could be they are over eager and go a bit over board in their correction and leadership, and they will mellow with age. Time will tell if you are interested in trying to keep him.

Wow, I've seen roosters "peck down" hens that refuse mating but that stops once he's made the point clear. I couldn't allow one that took it as far as yours did to remain with my girls no matter his age or the season. Totally your call but that is unacceptable in my opinion. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your little hen getting harmed.

Get rid of the rooster. I agree with some op you wont be able to change him now. He doesnt deserve those lovely girls and they dont deserve to get their eyes pecked out. Whats holding you back.

I guess what's holding me back is selfish reasoning.....he's really pretty. That's about it. But, there are other pretty roosters out there that will be more gentle I'm sure. Also, I just don't like killing things. I'll have it done, just wanted to explore my options.

He's pretty but so was Ted Bundy. ;) It stinks when the handsome ones are rotten. :(
I guess what's holding me back is selfish reasoning.....he's really pretty. That's about it. But, there are other pretty roosters out there that will be more gentle I'm sure. Also, I just don't like killing things. I'll have it done, just wanted to explore my options.

There are a lot of pretty roosters out there that won't peck out a hen's eye. I would not keep one that vicious with the hens. A good rooster's instinct will lead him to keep a watch for predators, show the hens where he finds treats, and generally be a good flock master. Really - there are roosters that do that all on their own. I've had them. A rooster like yours would be in my freezer in short order. He would not be in with my hens at this point.

Sorry for the impending loss of your rooster, and hope the hen recovers well. I had a young buff orpington rooster, about 1.5YO, one fine morning the ladies were very upset. I open the coop door to find him with his head up a dead hens cavity, the hen penned in a corner trying to get under something. I grabbed him, he was covered with blood, then the hatchet,,, I am not sure if he killed the hen, but she would hide from him like that. I did move the rest to another area, just in case it was not him.
Good roosters can be found, craigs list always has a few from free to $25,,,

Sorry for the impending loss of your rooster, and hope the hen recovers well. I had a young buff orpington rooster, about 1.5YO, one fine morning the ladies were very upset. I open the coop door to find him with his head up a dead hens cavity, the hen penned in a corner trying to get under something. I grabbed him, he was covered with blood, then the hatchet,,, I am not sure if he killed the hen, but she would hide from him like that. I did move the rest to another area, just in case it was not him.
Good roosters can be found, craigs list always has a few from free to $25,,,
I wouldn't have kept a cannibal either. I used to see birds pecking at dead birds back when I fed a layer ration, so make sure your birds are getting enough protein in their ration so they don't go looking for it.

Greetings austintexasredhead,

I hear in your words, that you also care about your rooster. I understand that, totally.

But, here's my experience with roosters...not only are they social creatures, they have instincts, and intelligence. Roosters are a lot like parrots, as far as their capacity to learn. Even though a parrot ranks higher in intelligence. Thus, I have had great success in training my roosters. First they learn, I am stronger, then, they learn words and phrases.The phrase, "No Peck", is the first thing they learn. Some learn by one year old, some like my current, RIR, "Frito", learned by 1.5 years old. He was very powerful and extremely aggressive as a youngster. Now, he is my buddy, follows and comes on command. If I tell him not to bother a certain hen, he walks away. Yes, he knows all the hen's names, the cats, and the dog's too.

Training a rooster involves understanding the instincts and over riding them by appealing to the intelligence of the bird, with training. And even with training, instincts will sometimes overrule. Especially when hormones are riding high, like now during Spring. But, here's where maturity, along with training can allow the rooster to develop into a well rounded leader of the flock.

Here's your problem - your rooster has been learning from his instincts. These instinctive behaviors of aggression, have been reinforced by your decision not to intervene. So, in a way, you have taught him this is OK.

I have read that chickens can learn over 300 words, and recognize 500 faces. Their level of intelligence is usually dismissed, because it takes a lot of time to train them. Time that many keepers don't have. Running a farm, homestead or family can be demanding and time consuming.

To answer your question: will isolation help. No. It most likely will make him either depressed, and/or, more aggressive.

I don't know if he can un-learn what he has already been doing. In the future, there are going to be hens that he doesn't like, or that don't like him. During breeding season, roosters don't take well to refusal. There are many posts, about roosters even killing hens.

In my opinion, this is a challenge for a keeper that has the time, patience, and experience to correct, if it is possible.

These are my thoughts on your rooster. I hope they are helpful in some way.

God Bless :)

Wow - I didn't know this about chickens! Thank you for taking the time to provide all this information. I really appreciate it. You have been very supportive and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom