Please help! Rooster attacking hen(s)

Agreed, @austintexasredhead . Culling that cockerel was the only logical decision to make. There would be no purpose in allowing such a deranged individual to remain part of the flock. You would not ever want to let him play in the gene pool. And good looks can only get a guy so far. Evil is still evil, no matter how nicely it is packaged.

Oof!

That's me being hit in the heart by your terrible story! I'm so sorry! Now, there are two recommended ways that you can deal with this. And by recommended, I mean by me, and not a huge chicken expert.

You should separate them. Make sure they can't get near each other at all! I would recommend building a fence around them and building another coop on the side of the fence or wire, and divide the flock in half. And if that's too extreme, there's another way!

Agh... Now... I hate to say this... but I must type it... :hitWhat do you think about a nice chicken dinner?
I said it, didn't I?
I would recommend giving him to a different home, but he's attacking other hens besides the original hen. Nobody will accept him, unless they don't know how much of a demon her really is. The best thing to do is eat him or kill him. I hate saying this!

Now, please take good care of your flock. And if you do end up killing him, tell him I said goodbye. If you need any extra help, give me a cluck! I usually end up answering in a few hours. Good night, and take care!

I read an article on the most humane way(s) to kill chickens. A hatchet, or garden tool to swiftly cut off their heads is the answer. Some of us older folks don't want to miss with an axe, while some of us have arthritis, or are lacking hand strength to use garden sheers, but I'm still able to use a lopper, like the ones used for tree limbs. I don't do it around my flock. I remove the bird away from their sight, far enough they don't smell blood. I put it in a tote, and calm it down, then lop the head off quickly.

Whats the best way to cull...just asking. Never even thought about doing this, but just curious:confused:
There are many ways to cull. To “cull” a chicken simply means to remove it from the flock. Kill it, sell it or separate it.

When we have to kill one, we use the hatchet and stump method (and by “we” I mean DH). If I were to do it myself, a cone and sharp tool to remove the head would be my choice. In my opinion, that’s the most humane way because it’s over in seconds.

I hope I never have to do this .....I am not sure I could:hit even if it had to be done.
Unfortunately, if you keep chickens long enough, you will probably have to cull at some point or another. That doesn't necessarily mean to "kill" a chicken. But sometimes there is a chicken that doesn't fit in with the flock. It's usually either a terrible bully, or one that is bullied relentlessly. Sometimes you just have to remove one for the peace of the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom