PLEASE HELP! ROOSTER WITH INJURED LEG.

Dixichicks

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 14, 2013
East San Diego
Hi there, i have a 3 mo old RIR rooster who was hobbling about starting this past Saturday. I have confined him, put him in a hicken sling but he will not stay in there long, and put him in a container for 2 days where he had food and water easily accessible to him. He will stand sometimes and move the hurt leg as if he is trying to scrach at his bowl of food in the air.

He cannot put weight on it as he just falls over but not in a bunch of pain. I took him to the vet yesterday to have him examined to see if anything was broke and he said no signs of anything broke, more likely some nerve damage or some neurological thing is going on because he clamped in between his toes to see if he had feeling still and he had to clamp pretty hard to get a reaction, but i thought to myself, i can pinch the skin between MY finger pretty dang hard before it starts hurting....?

He hasn't/cannot open his toes. They grab my fingers when put them to his foot. Its been staying warm like noral so i know there's good circulation to his foot. He also hasn't really been beding his "knee"/hock at all.

He has been eating and drinking like a champ too!

Im about to head to a health food store to get 1000 mg of CURCUMIN w/ Biopertine for inflamation and Hypericum and the feed store for some some vitamin and electrolyte powder mainly for the vitamin B. Or should i just get a vitamin B complex as heard it is great for healing some leg issues.

Also, he has had no other symptoms of Marecs disease so iv kinda ruled that out...
Anyone out there had any similar issues or suggestions? I REALLY dont want to have to put him down.

Last edited:
Update on lil Red
I did put some padding with some vet wrap on his hock as it was getting sore from him using that to hobble. His foot is now swollen for the first time. I loosened it....
and his left eye pupil seems more cat eye.... which is the side of his hurt leg....

Back
Top Bottom