PLEASE HELP...ROTTEN EGG SMELL FROM INCUBATOR...Took wrong eggs out

jt673

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
I just posted this on another thread but needed to pull it out for help sooner than later.

PLEASE HELP...""there is a rotten egg somewhere in one of my incubators and I cannot find it. I had one of the evaporator caps off and was peeking through the bator windows at our eggs and a smell hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. A rotten egg smell. I pulled one out that had a crack and I thought it was the one for sure. When I pulled it out, it had the smell over it. So I made sure everything was put back together temps/humidity going back up... great... Then I still smelled it coming from the bator. So I went back and smelled the egg that I pulled out and I did not smell the rotten smell anymore...........Does that mean it aired out or the incubator needs to air out? I RELUCTANTLY pulled each egg one by one and smelled. None of them had the smell......frustrated..I do not want an egg to explode. PLEASE HELP. How do I pin point the smell...Then I CANDLED, YES THE SCARDY CAT CANDLED the one next to the one that I pulled out to see if it was the culprit because the person that I got it from/ really my daughter got it from, said it probably was not fertile cause the the BCM roo only liked his BC Marans girls and not the RIR's and BRahmas the were in there with them....well guess what, I SAW A BABY IN THERE MOVING AROUND...If you have not been able to tell by now, I am totally WIRED and need help. They all just became that much more REAL to me when I saw that baby and do not want more than ever, anything to happen to them from this rotten egg smell....PLEAASE HELP! ""

1. How do I pinpoint which one it is?
2. How long before they cause real damage...the smell just started this evening?
3. Will it explode?
4. Will I hurt the others by taking them out and sniffing again?
5. Could something else be causing the smell.... please help..I do not want to loose the babies
hit.gif

If you are going to handle each egg then you might as well candle them.... That would potentially narrow down the problem a lot faster.

Thanks everyone, I am going to candle this morning...I could not sleep well worrying and headed in there now. I really appreciate your advice. This is my first hatch.

Wish me luck in there
fl.gif

ok, I found the egg with the rotten smell. Candled it and there were globs of dark stuff along the air cell..

The smell is still in there though.

Will it AIR OUT on its own?

Should I worry about something being in the air that will harm the others now that this one is completely out of the incubator?

THANKS

Did you candle them all or stop when you found one? I would make sure you looked at them all. Once you are sure you have the offender/s out then I wouldn't worry about it. The smell should dissipate with time. Good luck!

Quote:
Thanks, I candled them all and hope that I looked at everything correctly. I was sniffing as I candled and it was the only one that reaked. If the smell is still there tomorrow, should I candle again in that area of eggs to make sure no bacteria infections spreaded? I do not want to disturb everyone else if I do not have to.. how often are you suppose to candle?

Thanks again

I would at least smell them all again. One time I had a bad one, took it out, and then the next day still could smell something. I had to smell each one individually and yep, there was another one.

Back
Top Bottom