Please help Serbian highflyers leg ripped off by rat

Blu-kote and similar products will not stop infections. He needs to have that wound thoroughly cleaned with betadine and dressed with honey or antibiotic ointment—hopefully it’s not too late and the bone hasn’t become infected.
I’ve seen many one-legged pigeons but as said, that is from a constriction wound with no blood loss and very little chance for infection. A rat bite is another story.

I don’t really understand how you can’t find the wound? His entire leg is ripped off, no? Can you trim feathers back?
I wet his feathers that were all stuck together from blood and looked, I couldn't find a wound. I think his entire leg was taken by the rat.

I have seen chickens with one leg and lots of waterfowl with 1 or 1 and a half legs so it is definitely possible to survive but the chances of him making it if you can't find and clean the wound are really low. I am not sure how you can't find the wound, bring him inside and sit down with him, trim the feathers away and find it, don't wait till tomorrow or whatever, you need to find it asap. If his entire leg was taken off then there should be a pretty big and noticeable wound.

A pigeon holder might help the OP to examine..

images
I don't have one and if I was to order one it would take around a month to get here.

. I’ll be using it on the bird when I can find the wound,
I would pluck out a few body feathers to expose the damage.

I do have a bird that got it's leg damaged in a hinged window that fell during a thunder storm. He is not 100% and probably never will be. That being said he is making progress every day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom