PLEASE HELP! Sick duck!! About 6-7 weeks old I believe

Victoriad

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2020
He just started panting today and his beak feels hot compared to my other ducklings. He appears to be breathing hard and is unable to rest. What do I do!!!???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC.

Could you upload a video of the duck breathing to a video platform like Yotube or vimeo, and copy/paste the link here? What is the approximate temperature in the pen area? Are they kept in their all-day? What are you feeding them? Is he eating/drinking? Could you post a few pictures of his feces? How often is their pen cleaned?

Do you have a heat lamp on them? Sounds like he's just too hot. Ducks pant like dogs to cool down, and their bills and legs will feel hot when they are over-heated. Can you maybe let him have a bath to cool down (not cold water, more like lukewarm) and see if that helps.

If you have a heat lamp on them just make sure they have plenty of space to get away from it when they get too hot. Yours are so big now that it's easy for them to get too hot, especially if there is a heat lamp nearby.

My duck seems to be doing great now, no panting. Still concerned and may get him/her checked out. It was complete torment seeing him that way, the panting was non stop for several hours and my house was cool by then. So I’m just still unsure of what to think...

My duck seems to be doing great now, no panting. Still concerned and may get him/her checked out. It was complete torment seeing him that way, the panting was non stop for several hours and my house was cool by then. So I’m just still unsure of what to think...

Pekins can pant at room temperature temps, if she appears to be acting fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

They get 3-4 baths day and we’re in the process of building a bigger coop bc somthing kept getting in our old one. I change the bedding twice a day. I was using wood chips and then I tried pellets and that’s when the panting started so I went back to would chips. Still panting once a day....about that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom