Please Help: Sick Hen: Bright Yellow Poo: Comb Fallen

farmjenny

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I've got a barred rock hen that is about 7 months old. I noticed that she's been sitting around a lot more than usual. Her comb has fallen and it isn't as bright red as the other 4 hens I have anymore. I brought her in to isolate her. Her stool is completely liquidy and bright yellow. She seems to be in a "good mood" and not in pain or lethargic. She's eating right now. She's just got something going on and I want to help her before my other hens get it.

I've tried to search all of the sites with symptoms/diagnosis but haven't come up with anything.

Thanks.

Please email me if you'd like. I check my email more often than the site.

Jenny
[email protected]

Last edited:
Quote:
Jenny, she's got a significant problem with bright yellow poop. You mentioned searching sites for info - does that include this one?
As far as checking back, you may have a very time sensitive situation here - keep BYC minimized on your screen and check it very frequently - you will likely get speedier response than via your e-mail address.
Also, edit the title to your thread so folks with experience in this can zero right in on your thread, something like "Weak hen, bright yellow poop, flopped over comb - help"
JJ

I did search this one...at least to the limits of my abilities (not all that computer savvy...spend too much time outside!)

I'm not even sure I know how to edit my post but I'm going to try. Thanks!

Jenny

Could she have gotten into something and been poisoned? Some strange plant or mold or seeds?

In this book I have it also mentions a possibility of streptococcus.

What color is the poop. Yellow? yellow green? Is there any more information you can give?

How long has she been this way?

What is she eating?

She's been feeling "down" for a couple of days. I noticed her comb being not right today (and I'm out there with them all the time...it's a very small backyard flock of 5.)

There's no telling what she could've gotten into. She's one of my fiestier birds. She pecks at my toes and my fingers all the time and it always chasing something down (before she got sick.)

Tonight, she's had some oats, sunflower seed kernels and some cooked sweet potatoes. All of these in pretty small amounts but she eagerly ate what she did eat. And she has been drinking some water (and a bit of buttermilk from the butter I just made.)

Her poo is alternating between liquid/bright yellow and somewhat normal looking (solid and darker.)

I looked at the poo pics (thanks, rimshoes) and nothing quite fit.

I'm still watching her and babying her (she's in the kitchen with us right now in a makeshift chicken ER.)

I went out and got an antibiotic and a wormer but I haven't figured out what to give her yet (how much, I mean) because the calculations on the packages are for WAY bigger amounts than I'll ever need (even though I bought tiny packages of products.) Plus, I don't want to overwhelm her little system unncessarily.

Thanks for the help. Please keep it coming. I'm not totally new at this but am constantly reminded how much there is to learn.

I'll be back in the morning.

Thanks again!

Jenny

Jenny, Last fall my hen Ellie became very lethargic and had some bright yellow poo. It was Labor Day and it happened very fast (she seemed fine in the morning and then crashed severely by afternoon). After many calls, found an avian vet who would see her that day (for a premium, given the holiday!). He quickly put her on antibiotic and fluids and tube feeding and took blood. Turned out she had test results consistent with significant infection and/or inflammation -of unknown origin. A regimen of antibiotic and antiinflammatory turned her around. I'd have to look back at old posts or bills to recall type of antibiotic but I recall it being broad spectrum. Given that Ellie went down fast, I had the sense she was not going to pull through without those meds. She is happy and well now.
Hope your hen will get well.
JJ

Thanks all. She's doing well. I wouldn't say that she's lethargic at all....just not as fiesty as normal and sitting more (I actually thought she was trying to get broody on me at first because she was just sitting in the house.)

I've got an antibiotic in powder form but I have NO idea how to administer is. I also got a wormer that is a liquid. Is there a way to find out how to use this stuff on a very, very small scale that I'm unaware of or is an hour or two of math in my immediate future???
tongue.png

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom