Please help! Sick hen

Is she losing weight? It could be worms, but I'm thinking if she has worms so bad it is causing sickness or depression you would see worms in the poop. That's a sure sign of an overload. I've seen photos of poop like that and the description said it was a sick hen showing undigested food in the stool. I would try to treat with something more broad that Corid. Why don't you try Sulmet? It's for cocci and a few other diseases. I'm wondering if it's cocci, an e-coli infection or something else. If she wasn't acting sick, I would just think heat stress and a high water intake. Is the weather wet or dry where you are at? Does she free range, eat grass, etc?

I havnt tried any meds yet but I'm thinking that's the next step. It is dry and between 80-90 degrees for the last 3 months. It is just odd cause my other 3 aren't showing any of the same symptoms. She did free range and eat grass before I quarantined her. Where do I get sulmet? Feed store?

I think some feed stores may carry it. I know you can find it online. Now if you just want to treat for cocci, yes go with the Corid. If it's been a dry summer for you I really wouldn't suspect cocci. It thrives in damp conditions is what I have learned. Not knowing what is bothering her is why I suggested Sulmet. It treats cocci, coryza, fowl cholera, and pullorum in chickens. Also treats e-coli in cattle, so may be of some benefit there if that is what is bothering her? Idk, I had a few chickens acting strange this year and lost two. One was old so I didn't think anything of it, but the other was two years so I became concerned. This was within 2 to 3 weeks of each other. When the third started staying by herself, I penned her and gave her sulmet. She acted better in two days time. So many things out there chickens can get and they don't give you many clues. Birds bring in many different things to your flock. Chickens can get disease from insects too(beetles, worms, flies) and mice are also suspect. Then there are fungis and mold. Just a whole host of things.

Last edited:
Aaaahhhhh I don't know what to treat her for....worms or some sort of infection. Her poop is getting better but just still so much water. Her abdomin seems red too

I don't think it's worms. If she was infested with worms, you would likely see weight loss and worms in poop. Most birds carry worms anyway, it just isn't a problem unless they get overloaded. She isn't showing any respiratory problems other than the panting? That's normal in heat. It very well could be heat stress and her consuming extra water. You could just wait and see. My next guess would be an e-coli infection. There are medicines out there that treat for that. May have to look online. It's best to have a few different meds on hand when raising chickens so they are there when you need them. Usually, there are waiting times when getting meds for chickens so I always have something on hand. The biggest selection is found online.
Let me clarify what I said. By waiting times I meant shipping and such. When you need a medicine for a chicken, time is not on your side. The hide their symptoms and it is usually too late by the time you notice anything. Unless you are very observant of eating habits, stools, appearance and behavior.
The reason I think e-coli is I had a rooster alone in his pen that had messy droppings. Dry enviroment, just him, his water and feed. Yet his droppings were runny, not firm.
I put him on a medicine that treated, cocci, crop canker, e-coli and one other thing(can't remember) for the five days stated. It cleared him right up. Droppings returned to normal. Now, it wasn't a medicine specific for chickens, but it was for birds.

Last edited:
Do you have an avian vet in your area? It might be cheaper than going online and buying drugs that aren't necessary . First thing I would do is worm all of your birds. I use panacur ( safeguard )
But there are poultry specific wormers, that you simply add to the water. Worms and lice kill chickens and they are not always obvious .

Do you have an avian vet in your area? It might be cheaper than going online and buying drugs that aren't necessary . First thing I would do is worm all of your birds. I use panacur ( safeguard )
But there are poultry specific wormers, that you simply add to the water. Worms and lice kill chickens and they are not always obvious .
X2 plus I would treat with the corid. ( If it were me) Birds can carry and drop it too, or it can be carried on our person, like our feet. Corid is not really a medication, it is a thiamine blocker. The cocci live off the thiamine. Mine just got through with the treatment and the poo's where not what everyone explained. Treating for cocci won't hurt and could rule it out, if anything? ( plus I saw a difference in them in a matter of hours) Just a suggestion...and my own way of doing things when the symptoms aren't following the rules
wink.png

I hope you can get this sorted out and your bird feels better soon!!!! Best of luck to you!

I just want to know where the vet that is cheaper than buying medication is?
big_smile.png

I sure never found one. It's thirty bucks just to take a look and not treat. Only get's much more expensive after that! And that's only for one bird, one visit!

Remember, wormer's are poisons and hard on a bird that is already sick. I wouldn't do it unless you see worms. They are very easy to spot in the poop. Long white string looking things. I'm not saying you should never worm your birds, but worming them when they are healthy, as a yearly treatment regime, is best. Worming a bird that is sick because you are not sure what it is, is not a first step, imo, especially if you don't see any.

Last edited:
As I said in my previous post, " the presence of worms is not always obvious " but a simple worm count at your local vet would at least give you a direction to go in. I would prefer to deworm and de- lice my birds before reaching for the antibiotics. After all, the symptoms as posted by the OP
Were, lethargy and runny poo.

Back
Top Bottom