Shannon's Chix

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
N.E. Florida
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
d'uccle, 4 1/2 mos, wt unknown

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Found this afternoon laying down, not moving around as usual...lethargic. ate a little but will not drink...
crop if a bit hard, when i try to message she gets upset and pecks my hand

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Several hours, seemed fine this morning

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
none known

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
took a bit of egg and yogurt, will not drink after dipping beak

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
a couple normal, one runny brown and 4-5 almost liquid white(smelly!)

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
in house, warmed, trying to hand feed, have electrolytes in water

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
treat myself

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
none

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
regularly sand in coop, now sitting on towel

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I'm no expert but I automatically dust them and feed them water with an eye dropper. Maybe you should try poultry Nutridrench too, from TSC or PBS
Have you been feeding grit? If her crop is hard maybe she isn't digesting or something.
Blessings! Hope she gets better
chickenmum

I would keep her in a dark, warm place in case it is a laying issue (will stop the laying cycle). Has she ever laid yet? Does she have access to oyster shell? Keep a close eye on her and post with any other symptoms. Take a really good look at her--check the vent, look for lice or mites, any unusual swelling. Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it is going down.
ETA--she may not like the electrolytes, if so, I would give her plain water to make sure she gets enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom