Please help!!! Silver Spitzhauben with possible dislocated leg

Mzliz1015

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
Hello All!

I am in desperate need of advice! The newest member of my tiny flock, a Silver Spitzhauben, is struggling with her right leg. Nothing seems/feels broken. I have kept her contained for the past 8 days with little improvement. She has a good appetite and drinks well. She has even been out with the other 3 girls I have and they are kind to her. However I don't know how she can make it on her own in the coop long term without any mobility. Has anyone healed a chicken with what seems to be a dislocated leg? She is 13 weeks old.
Please see attached video for her current mobility :(

Hello All!

I am in desperate need of advice! The newest member of my tiny flock, a Silver Spitzhauben, is struggling with her right leg. Nothing seems/feels broken. I have kept her contained for the past 8 days with little improvement. She has a good appetite and drinks well. She has even been out with the other 3 girls I have and they are kind to her. However I don't know how she can make it on her own in the coop long term without any mobility. Has anyone healed a chicken with what seems to be a dislocated leg? She is 13 weeks old.
Please see attached video for her current mobility :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-174117_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200920-174117_Video Player.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200920-174059_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200920-174059_Video Player.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 16
Sorry! Video was too long to post but I added a few pics from the video that shows how she is dragging her leg. Thanks everyone!!

Sorry about your chicken. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Did you witness her injuring the leg? Would it be possible to see a vet tomorrow for an xray? At her age, I would worry that it is a sign of Mareks, but it could be an injury. A chicken sling might be something that you might want to try to get her upright and near food and water. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! She WAS vaccinated for Mareks. She is getting to food and water well as I have her in a small crate inside the chicken coop with the other girls. I did take her to a vet and he said he didn't think anything was broken but an Xray was $125. So I took her home for the last week to monitor her. She's still eating well and seems healthy. But her overall mobility has really not improved.

Did she ever have any problems with that leg earlier on? Slipped tendons or a leg bone deformity can be common. Varus valgus deformity or a twisted tibia can worsen with age. Sometimes a hock tendon may rupture. I hope that she improves.

No she was super fast! Fastest chicken I've ever seen. Can a slipped tendon or hock tendon be fixed?

Back
Top Bottom