Please Help - STAY OF DESTRUCTON OF RARE BREED POULTRY.

fl.gif

Thanks. Hope it moves forwards into a successful outcome for those who want the birds preserved. I despair of the quality of a lot of purebreds in Australia, way too inbred already; the early imports ban was foolish. Disease will always find its way in sooner or later, unless we're all going to live in little biobubbles of self sufficiency then it's best to develop resistance despite the inherent losses that come with the challenge. If we don't then we'll lose them all when those diseases get in, not just some. I don't believe there is any incurable disease, only diseases we haven't found the cures for.

It says right here:

Quote: So the original post made it out to believe that they were going to destroy all these birds, regardless of their test results. I guess that was not true.

Not sure what to believe now.

Isn't salmonella in fact Pullorum disease? If so, they can remain carriers for life, infecting other healthy birds and even humans. If that is the case, I agree with destroying any that test positive regardless of their rare breed status.

That may sound cruel, but that is not a good way to preserve a breed.

Last edited:
@Aoxa:

It says right here:

Quote:
"We take a drop of blood from the bird ... positive are destroyed, negative re-tested in two weeks until whole flock has worked its way through two successive negative tests," he said.
So the original post made it out to believe that they were going to destroy all these birds, regardless of their test results. I guess that was not true.

No, it was true when it was written. What you quoted there is the NEW information released after the successful stay of destruction. So what you've done is use the reply to a successful challenge to try to disprove the original claim.

Reading through the whole thing will set the issue straight.

I support this issue for the facts of the matter. The facts were freely available from the start on the change.org site... It's a group of farmers, not one individual's emotional plea that has no supporting facts).

Isn't salmonella in fact Pullorum disease? If so, they can remain carriers for life, infecting other healthy birds and even humans. If that is the case, I agree with destroying any that test positive regardless of their rare breed status.

See above.... This topic has already been done to death. IT'S ALREADY IN AUSTRALIA.

Mitigation not eradication is the way of the future. Sooner or later a remedy will be found. In the meantime, it doesn't render chooks extinct, nor humans. There are fatal diseases everywhere, yet poultry (and humans) persist. There is much to be said for maintaining optimum environments for them to develop resistance, immunity etc, which often does occur to even the worst diseases, if given a chance; if you make everything super bio-secure and quarantined in perpetuity and close all flocks and so forth, eventually when that disease does get in, it'll wipe out everything; there will no longer be any level of immunity or resistance. These are hurdles to face up to; you never get over a barrier by running along it. All continuous barriers are circles. ;)

What they're doing is necessary for the future of chickens in Australia, which are already badly inbred enough. I am more than happy for my flock to be exposed to every disease so any birds able to achieve immunity can do so, and breed better offspring. This is the only way forwards I see. The results of trying to hide your flock away forever are well known; you'll never be able to reintroduce them to the real world and like a boy in a bubble you'll be living in fear of that one sneaky pathogen that does get in. It's inevitable.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just add...

The fact is that even if one person was passionate enough about their cause to show some emotion about it, that doesn't invalidate the facts associated with it. So even if it had been just one person's emotional plea, that wouldn't make it wrong, as long as the facts held up; in this case, they did, still do, and were available for checking from the very beginning.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't they just destroy the infected ones... I mean, sure the others run the risk of being infected, but Salmonella's already in Australia... Ah, whatever.

I'll just continue mixing randoms. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom