Please help - stick tight flea I think???

Hello, from South Texas!!! Man,we have a horrible flea infestation in our chicken coop....and we think that mice/rats are also contributing to the spreading of the fleas...how do we get rid of the mice/rats with out the chikens getting into the poison?? we tried live traps...they just laughed at us...we have 2 cats that stay outside, but they cant get them all...we live out in the country and keep the feed in sealed freezers....HELP!!!

You can try getting a 5 gallon bucket and fill iit half up with water. Float some sunflower seeds on top. Place a board on the outside of the bucket up to the rim of the five gallon bucket. the rats(squirrels or mice) go after the floating sunflower seeds and drown. Good luck!!

Hello brother, I live just no. of you on the county line ( 16 ), and have the same problem. I 'm desperately searching for a cure and have been for years. I have russian orlofs, , swedish flower hens, black astroplops, and quite a few more ( all seperate ). Finding a cure in this desperate country might be difficult. If you do please ,please let me know. I am working on it and will let you know.

Set out pie pans of concret and cracked corn PUT where the chickens cannot get to them please. Then put little pans of water near them.
The mice and rats will eat the coated cracked corn that is mixed in with the concret and then drink the water... then they will go off and die as they cannot pass gass so they blow up inside.

In the past I have had the same problem with the fleas....I use BIO Spot...buy it for large dogs...draw it up in a syringe and put 4 or 5 drops on the chickens comb....DEAD FLEAS!...I do believe the wood rats bring them in....I live in the middle of 28 acres of woods....If it isn't one thing it's another....you just have to address it....~Charm1704

For heavens sake, we have a couple hundred chickens and have had a massive stick tight flea infestation about a year now.

we've sprayed, dusted and cleaned countless times but to no avail.

we saw the posting here mentioning using vaseline to suffocate them which somehow gave me the idea of using Swat from the horsie aisle

with gloves we applied the Swat all over their heads and wattles, trying to keep it out of their eyes best we could.

by next day, there were only a few fleas still sticking and they were dead.

we also sprayed them down with adams flea spray for dogs/cats which may have helped but the Swat did the job

hope this helps someone else

I went yesterday to a womans home to get 2 little goslings for companions to our 1 little gosling and noticed that they had a few stick fleas around their eyes. I said OH you have stick fleas also and how we have tried everything for them and nothing seems to work. She told me she uses Martins IG Regulator Insect Growth Regulator 2 times a yr and it works great on them. I asked her where she got it at and she said the feed store. She also uses Frontline under the wings in her chickens 1/2 cc but just the broody hens. SHe has been using the IG Regulator for years. She sprays the coops with it and when its dry its safe for the chickens to go back into.

I went Google looking for this IG and found the following on it

I G Regulator (Nylar-Precor) is an insect growth regulator that is odorless. It is essentially a protein. When certain insects are exposed to it early in development, they are not able to properly mature into eating or reproducing adults. Generally they have very little toxicity to mammals since it disrupts the growth and processes specific to insects. It causes sterilization of adult insects. Nylar pesticides will last several weeks per application.

This Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) will generally have very little toxicity to mammals since it disrupts the growth and development processes specific to insects. They contain a synthetic juvenile hormone "look-alike" which disrupts the normal insect growth. It also disrupts the normal life cycle thus killing these insects. When certain insects are exposed to it early in development they are not able to properly mature into eating or reproducing adults.

Martin's IG Regulator inhibits reinfestation of fleas for up to seven months. I.G. regulator inhibits larvae from advancing to adult in fleas and horseflies. Can be used on carpets, rugs, furniture, draperies, poultry houses, animal quarters, kennels, doghouses, and warehouses.

Martin's IG Regulator is a concentrated Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) that can be combined with many contact insecticides or can be used alone as part of an integrated pest management program or a "green" pest control program.

Martins IG Regulator Features:
* Inhibits reinfestation by fleas for up to 7 months
* Reduces egg production in houseflies and prevents development of larvae into adults
* Inhibits reinfestation by listed cockroaches for up to 6 months
* Effective long-term control of Fleas, Roaches, Flies, Mosquitoes, Gnats, Crickets, Litter Beetles & Ants
* Photostable for up to 14 days
* For use on Furniture, Animal Quarters, Carpets, Kennels, Poultry Houses
* Treats up to 1,500 square feet [1 ounce size]
* Treats up to 6,000 square feet [4 ounce size]
* For indoor/outdoor use

She puts it in a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer and puts the hens in the house and sprays their yard then when dry puts them out and sprays the house and closes the door till its dry then they can come in to their coop.
You just got to make sure the area is dry before you put anyone in or on it. She also puts Liquid 7 dust in with it to kill the adult fleas as the IG takes care of the eggs.

Going to feedstore tomorrow and spray away ....
ReplyQuote Multi

Last edited:
SWAT WORKS!!!!!!!! Boy does it work!
wee.gif

I got some and put it on some of the chickens to test it out to be sure I wore the gloves as its like melted bubblegum and smeared it on combs waddles and around the head area careful to keep out of eyes. The poor things had a very hot pink head yesterday.

This morning they were the first thing I checked on and all were bitting at the bit to eat. Picked one up and looked at her head and everyone of those stick fleas were dead and most had fallen off.

Now to do the others.

Thank you for telling us about it as I had never heard of it not having horses

so glad it helped.

we've been battling these stick tight fleas for 2 years now - what a nightmare !

also, we've been spraying absolutely every surface in the poultry house with permethrin, including the chickens themselves but it wasn't getting them. thanks to your post here we learned that you must add an insect growth regulator to the spray in order to get the eggs, etc.

so we ordered Martin's IG regulator from Amazon to add into the next spraying. hopefully that will get them completely for a few months.

My 4 hens all have these bugs around their ears, eyes and head. I've treated them and the coop 3 times realizing this last time I needed to repeat process in 7 days to also get eggs that hatched. I placed garlic cloves in their water. Treated coop with powder from farm supply and sprayed with mixture of cooking oil, water and dish soap. Im praying this time it works.,

Back
Top Bottom