Please Help! Suspected Zinc poisoning

Ruby Update!!

Okay, so need your help again on what to do. She is still alive and maybe got 20% better, but now she is just hanging in there, and I've noticed a few other symptoms. Here is what is going on:

*She sits in the nesting box all day
*Fluffs up her feathers in the box when I go to take her out
*Fluffs up her feathers and shakes and squalks some when she is out of the box (almost like something is irritating her on the skin, but no signs of mites or anything)
*Seems lethargic at first when I take her out, but then will go eat and drink and run around for about 10/15 minutes before she goes back inside (she usually sits on the ground where I put her for a few minutes before she will run around some).
*Have been giving her some greens every other day, but her poops are pretty green, solid and nothing uber off (besides the green)
*Her comb is shriveling some, wattles as well (this just started to get noticeable the past few days). Its pale as well.
*Not laying

We have been taking her out, every other hour or so, and making sure she eats and drinks (its been so hot here in Colorado). I'm just at a loss for what to do. We are going out of town for a week the end of July and I'm already nervous about leaving her, where she needs puppy dog type care. She is still in with the rest of the flock, because she was a mess when I tried to isolate her for a few days...

She was on antibiotics for a week, and I didn't notice much improvement
I might get some dewormer for the flock just to do that too -- anyone have any recommendations on where to buy, what to get??

THOUGHTS?!?!

Is she broody?

Have you treated for parasites? (mites or lice) -- the scratching might be from lice in her bedding? Don't know, but good luck with her.

She definitely is acting broody, but has some of these other symptoms too. I've never had chickens before, so I don't know the classic signs of a broody hen. I haven't treated for mites or lice... what do you recommend I do for that? I do clean out their pine shavings in the coop and nesting box every week/every other week.

How hot is it where you are? If it isn't terribly hot, I would treat for parasites (external) with sevin or poultry dust or maybe even the pour on Ivermectin for cattle (my expert says 3 drops for bantams, 5 drops for LF on the back of the neck next to the skin under the feathers). It can stress them, so it might be too much stress in extreme heat especially if she is going broody. I would think forcing her out of the nest box periodically would be a good idea in any case.

You could put poulty dust in their bedding and nest boxes in case there are external parasites bothering her. I put DE (diatomaceous earth) in their nest boxes when I change them and in the shavings when I add them to the coop. This won't get rid of lice and mites, but many believe that it is a good preventative.

Good luck with her. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom