Please help! Three chicks with huge lump on neck

hannah9

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Please help... this evening when I was holding the chicks I noticed that three if them have a huge lump on their neck. They are three and half weeks old. I fed them a boiled egg as a treat about an hour ago. Could it be an impacted crop? What should I do???

On the right side lower neck next to the breast?
That is the crop and is normal for it to protrude when it is full. It should go down by morning.

Imp

Yes, that right. It's on the right side next to the breast. They look deformed. The bump is a little smaller than a ping pong ball. Is that bump size normal?

I've been worried sick about them...
hmm.png
I just have not noticed a bump like that on them before today. Thank you letting me know this is normal. One question, how can one tell the difference between what's normal and an actual impacted crop?

Quote:
Just take their food away for 8 hours if under light all the time. If they are not under light, then just check them first thing in the morning before they have had food. The crop should be about empty. If they were really big pigs there may be a little left in there, but not much.

Matt

Wow... sorry for all the ignorant questions. I am new to raising chickens. I'm attached to these babies, I didn't know what to think when I saw those lumps. I am sure grateful for this forum!!!

Back
Top Bottom