Please help! Tiny white bugs!!

susanmc81

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
WV, USA
I bought a bag a chick starter and grower at my local TSC. I put it in my truck and it stayed there a few days till I needed it. When I opened my truck it was crawling with tiny white bugs not much bigger than grains of sand, an they were on everything that was in my trunk as well (a few blankets, change of clothes, flash lights, etc.). My question is what are these and how do I get rid of them? They are starting to crawl everywhere! I have dusted my truck with a coop dust that is permethrin but I'm not sure if it is helping as this morning I seen a few of them on the back quarter panel of car. I needed to get them out of my car before they get near my ducks or in the cabin of my car! Please help with any advise! I asked at the store and they didn't seem to care, I even found some on a product and showed it to them, they said it was possible it was a mite and just put it back on the shelf to sell.

Thanks, I didn't think about that, as this is my first time with poultry (and I've fallen head over heels for them! And I don't want the to get sick! Or bugged). I've cleaned and scrubbed with bleach everything I can. But that does make me feel better :)

You probably have grain mites. They're only harmful to grains. They're most easily controlled by lowering the humidity around the food to 60% or lower. I might return that bag though.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks. After these answers and looking up grain mites I am pretty sure that is what I have. I am glad that they won't hurt my ducks but still don't want to feed that to them. Still torn on taking it back as well as I don't want to put the bugs back in my car! I seen what just a few did, so still undecided on that. Again thanks guys for your help!!

I would tie it up in a big garbage bag and take it back to them and get my money back. If they aren't "concerned" about it call the head office.

Back
Top Bottom