Please help to tube feed my chick

She has many of the symptoms of coccidiosis with necrotic enteritis. Had you arrived at that diagnosis with your vet? Because you mentioned giving her Corid and sulfa, the drugs used to treat coccidiosis and its complications. But you don't say how long you treated with the two meds.

I'm sorry your little hen is dying. She would have likely died many days ago if not for the kind supportive care you've been giving her. But that really is the problem. She needed to die several days ago. She is suffering. There really is no hope for her to get well since the destruction of her intestines are likely too far advanced to be able to rescue any of the intestinal lining with a sulfa drug since the bacteria is extremely vicious and efficient.

Did the vet talk to you about euthanasia? He can make her go to sleep and it's a fast, painless way to end her suffering. Please think about what's best for your hen.

She has many of the symptoms of coccidiosis with necrotic enteritis. Had you arrived at that diagnosis with your vet? Because you mentioned giving her Corid and sulfa, the drugs used to treat coccidiosis and its complications. But you don't say how long you treated with the two meds.

I'm sorry your little hen is dying. She would have likely died many days ago if not for the kind supportive care you've been giving her. But that really is the problem. She needed to die several days ago. She is suffering. There really is no hope for her to get well since the destruction of her intestines are likely too far advanced to be able to rescue any of the intestinal lining with a sulfa drug since the bacteria is extremely vicious and efficient.

Did the vet talk to you about euthanasia? He can make her go to sleep and it's a fast, painless way to end her suffering. Please think about what's best for your hen.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read and respond! I did consider euthanasia but the vets I called charge a lot ($350), and this vet was more reasonable but did not suggest it and I was too frazzled by that time and forgot to ask.
I actually did plan to let her go, but the thing that made me change my mind was the discovery of mites/lice. I have another Polish who has been showing what I think is bloody stools, but maybe I’m off. They also didn’t seem to respond to Corid (I gave them all for 3 days), and that chick was weak and dying too, but she was in a bit less progressive decline. She was lethargic but she could stand on her own, unlike this one. But after I treated them for lice, the other one perked right up! She is eating and drinking and now I can’t tell ignora these stools are just cecal stools or if they’ll have blood. Maybe I’ll take a pic.
Anyways, that’s what made me think that she was just overburdened with parasites for so long that she gave up will to live. So the idea is to keep her eating and drinking until she can regain strength and if it is due to lice than she can make a recovery. Do you think I’m too optimistic?

But no, the vet didn’t diagnose her, it was just me trying to figure to nite things out. I should have taken her to the vet sooner but I’ve had 3 chicks before who were very sick but with some treatment they were able to completely recover, although it took 4 weeks. So I thought this one was going to be alright too :(

Other Polish poop (I have 3 more)
8BCD51D4-8B84-42BC-876C-E41E46E7303C.jpeg
38359E02-8C60-4E3D-AE11-F60F309F7103.jpeg
75F55857-7E92-4011-B17C-31D6849330E6.jpeg

Not a great picture but the one on the right was lethargic 2 days ago - she has a huge bold spot on his head. I thought other chickens pecked at him but now I think it was also lice. She is a happy girl now, very active. And the one on the left is my sick girl’s rooster buddy. He was by her side the whole time while I let him...
22010C7B-06AF-43C9-BDFA-BD02811731E3.jpeg

You said she is eating and drinking? Keep her going over night and tomorrow is a new day. You can assess everything in the morning. Are you tube feeding the Sulfa?

Back
Top Bottom